Protect Your Privacy and Safety
Effective Date: 16 September 2014
Click on one of the links below to jump directly to the listed section:
- Information We Collect
- How We Use the Information We Collect
- Information We Share
- CV Privacy Options
- Cookies and Third-party Advertisers
- Update Your Account Information
- Links to Other Websites
- International Data Transfers
- How We Protect Personal Information
- Some Important Tips To Use When Dealing With Prospective Employers
- California Residents
- Children's Privacy
- How to Contact Us
Information We Collect
We may obtain information about you from various sources, including our Sites, when you call or email us or communicate with us through social media, or when you participate in events, contests or other promotions. We also may obtain information about you from our parent, affiliate or subsidiary companies, business partners and other third parties and, to the extent permitted by applicable law, publicly available information.
The types of information we may obtain include:
- Your Personal Information, if you choose to provide it or if we obtain it in the manner described above. You do not have to give us any Personal Information in order to perform job searches or to read the content portions of the Sites.
- Username and password for the account you may establish on our Sites.
- Payment details (including payment card number, security code, expiration date, cardholder name and billing address) if you buy products on our Sites.
- Your demographic information (such as zip or postal code, occupation, education and experience, and if you choose to provide it, age, gender, nationality, race or ethnicity and other information deemed "sensitive" under applicable law). We collect this information either through the registration process, from your CV or in the manner described above.
- Job search behavior and preferences, and a record of the searches that you make on our Sites. We do this in order to present you with job recommendations based on your interests as expressed previously through your searches.
- Other details that you may submit to us or that may be included in the information provided to us by third parties.
We collect information stored in your social media profile that you authorize us to access when you use your social media profile to enact features on the Sites, such as the ability to pre-populate our registration form or a job application, or the ability to see which of your friends have contacts with employers that interest you. CareerBuilder provides software applications ("Apps") available to the public, as well as Apps that may be purchased by companies for their employee's internal use in talent management. Through the use of these Apps, we may collect your social network data, but will never use or share non-public social network data that you have restricted through your social network's privacy settings.
- If you decide to download one of our Apps, such as Work@, we will collect your profile information, including your social network site user ID, work email address, name, city, state, social network site profile image URL, and employment history, including job titles and company names.
- If you decide to download one of our apps, such as Work@, we will also collect information about your friends and their connections. This includes, depending on your friend's privacy settings, names, locations, and employment histories.
- When you use the Work@ App on your social network page or use the Work@ App on someone else's page, we may record information regarding the use of that Work@ App.
- If social network connections use the Work@ App to apply for a job or request a referral, CareerBuilder will collect those individuals' names and email addresses and notify you about this activity.
- When you invite individuals from your social network to use our Apps, make an introduction between individuals in your social network and other Work@ members, or send messages through the Work@ App, we collect and maintain the information associated with those messages, including email addresses and content.
- We do not collect information on social media private messages that are not hosted by our App, unless we are a party to the message, such as when a user sends an app invite request.
In addition, when you visit our Sites or use our mobile applications, we may collect certain information by automated means, such as cookies and web beacons, as described in more detail below. The information we may collect by automated means includes:
- Information about the devices our visitors use to access the Internet (such as the IP address and the device, browser and operating system type).
- Pages and URLs that refer visitors to our Sites, also pages and URLs that visitors exit to once they leave our Sites.
- Dates and times of visits to our Sites.
- Information on actions taken on our Sites (such as page views, site navigation patterns and job view or application activity).
- A general geographic location (such as country and city) from which a visitor accesses our Sites.
- Search terms that visitors use to reach our Sites.
How We Use the Information We Collect
We may use the information we obtain about you to:
- Register, manage and maintain your account on the Sites.
- Provide products or services you request.
- Process, validate and deliver your purchases (including by processing payment card transactions and contacting you about your orders, including by telephone).
- Maintain a record of the jobs you view or apply to on our Sites.
- Inform you of relevant job postings that may be of interest to you.
- Provide administrative notices or communications applicable to your use of the Sites.
- Respond to your questions and comments and provide customer support.
- Contact you and deliver information to you that, in some cases, is targeted to your interests (such as relevant services, educational or other career development opportunities); enable you to communicate with us through our blogs, social networks and other interactive media; and solicit your feedback and input, in each case subject to your affirmative consent where required by applicable law. These communications will contain links for preference management and, where appropriate, unsubscribe links should you decide you do not want to receive further communications.
- Manage your participation in our events and other promotions, where you have signed up for such events and promotions.
- Operate, evaluate and improve our business and the products and services we offer.
- Analyze and enhance our marketing communications and strategies (including by identifying when emails we have sent to you have been received and read).
- Analyze trends and statistics regarding visitors' use of our Sites, mobile applications and social media assets, and the jobs viewed or applied to on our Sites.
- Protect against and prevent fraud, unauthorized transactions, claims and other liabilities, and manage risk exposure, including by identifying potential hackers and other unauthorized users.
- Enforce our Sites' Terms and Conditions.
- Comply with applicable legal requirements and industry standards and our policies.
We also use non-personally identifiable information and certain technical information about your computer and your access of the Sites (including your internet protocol address) in order to operate, maintain and manage the Sites. We collect this information by automated means, such as cookies and web beacons, as described in more detail below.
If we seek to use the information we obtain about you in other ways, we will provide specific notice and request your consent at the time of collection.
Information We Share
We may share and combine your information internally across different Sites and with our parent, affiliate or subsidiary companies for the uses described above under the heading"How We Use the Information We Collect."
Additionally, we may combine certain non-personally identifiable Aggregate Data about our users and use such anonymous Aggregate Data to prepare reports for our users (typically employers or educators). "Aggregate Data" is the demographic information (such as zip code, age, gender, race or ethnicity) and employment information (such as occupation, education and experience) of many individuals that is combined together. Aggregate Data is used to analyze the characteristics of various populations and does not identify any specific individuals. For example, an employer may purchase a report from CareerBuilder that states the number of accountants with at least five years' experience that live within a certain geographic area. All such reports sold only contain Aggregate Data which cannot be used to identify any individuals.
We also provide reports about activity on our Work@ App that may contain identifiable information about users who choose to download and use that App. CareerBuilder's customers that purchase the Work@ App will receive reports that contain the information collected through the Work@ App. The reports may include the following: the number of installations and removals of the Work@ App, the number of referrals, shares and wall posts made by you, the number of views and the names and email addresses of individuals with whom you have a relationship when they request a referral or when they apply for a job. CareerBuilder will not provide any other social network page content to its customers who purchase the Work@ App.
Other than instances where users opt to publicly post their Personal Information to our CV database, provide it via a job application, include it in a job posting or otherwise provide permission to share it, we do not sell our users' Personal Information to anyone for any reason. When posting jobs and CVs, our users decide for themselves how much contact information they wish to display. All users should be aware, however, that when they choose to display or distribute Personal Information (such as their email address or other contact information on a public CV) via the Sites or any other distribution method, that information can be collected and used by others. This may result in unsolicited messages, for which CareerBuilder is not responsible, from third parties.
We also may share Personal Information with our service providers who process such information on our behalf to help us in the delivery of our own products and services to you. These service providers may only use or disclose the information as necessary to perform services on our behalf or as otherwise required by law.
CareerBuilder also may disclose specific user information when we determine, in good faith, that such disclosure is necessary to comply with the law, to cooperate with or seek assistance from law enforcement, to prevent a crime or protect national security, or to protect the interests or safety of CareerBuilder or other users of the Sites.
In addition, Personal Information we have collected may be passed on to a third party in the event of a transfer of ownership or assets or a bankruptcy or other corporate reorganization of CareerBuilder.
CV Privacy Options
Posting your CV on the Sites puts you in front of thousands of employers with open positions each day. When you post your CV, we automatically create a registration for you using the email address and password that you supply. When you return to the Sites in the future you will use that same email address and password to access and edit your existing CV.
This option gives you the most visibility to the broadest employer audience possible by making your CV searchable in our CV database. If you select this option, any registered employer user who purchases access to the database can view your CV and contact details (to the extent you include them in your CV).
Private Posting For Apply Online Only
This option allows you to post your CV on the Sites without having it searchable by or viewable to employers. The benefit is that you can quickly and easily apply for jobs without retyping your information, and you provide your CV only to those employers in which you are specifically interested.
We attempt to limit access to our searchable CV database to legitimate users such as paying employers, recruiters, hiring managers, headhunters and human resource professionals, but cannot guarantee that other parties will not gain access to this database. We cannot control the use of CVs by third parties who access such CVs while they are in our searchable database. You may remove your CV from our searchable database at any time. However, employers, recruiters and others who have paid for access to that database, as well as parties who have otherwise gained access to the database may have retained a copy of your CV in their own files or databases. We cannot control the retention, use or privacy of CVs or profiles that have been downloaded by third parties. Accordingly, you should not put information you would not want made public in your CV.
With respect to posting a CV or other information on the Sites, if you, your data, or the Sites you are using are subject to Directive 95/46/EC of the European Parliament and of the European Council, the local laws adopted by member states of the European Union pursuant thereto or other law that prohibits or limits the collection or processing of "sensitive" data or information such as age or gender as it relates to employment opportunities, you agree to refrain from providing such information to us and you accept that CareerBuilder will not be in any way liable for unlawful collection or processing of such information. Furthermore, you agree to hold CareerBuilder harmless and indemnify CareerBuilder for any damage arising from the collection or processing of such information.
About Cookies, Tracking Choices, and Third Party Advertisers
A "cookie" is a text file that websites send to a visitor's computer or other Internet-connected device to uniquely identify the visitor's browser or to store information or settings in the browser. A "web beacon," is also called a Web bug or a pixel tag or a clear GIF. Used in combination with cookies, a Web beacon is an often-transparent graphic image, usually no larger than 1 pixel x 1 pixel, that is placed on a Web site or in an e-mail that is used to monitor the behavior of the user visiting the Web site or sending the e-mail.
We use third-party advertising companies who may place or access cookies on your computer hard drive to distinguish your web browser uniquely and to keep track of information relating to serving ads on your web browser, such as the type of ads shown and the webs pages on which the ads appeared. These companies may use information about your visits to our Sites and to other sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services of interest to you on our Sites or on other, third party, sites. We also may give third party advertisers the ability to tailor their advertisements on our Sites using demographic and preference information we provide to them in aggregate form. This information does not identify you individually.
These companies operate under their own privacy policies and CareerBuilder encourages you to be aware of the privacy policies of such companies. CareerBuilder does not have control over or access to any information contained in the cookies that are set on your computer by third party advertisers.
Our Site does not respond to web browser do-not-track signals. However, to help prevent and limit the automatic collection of information by any participating third party advertisers, including the collection of personally identifiable information about an individual's online activities over time and across third-party Web sites or online services, you may opt-out of such collection by clicking the Ad Choices icon located within the ad, by accessing the "about ads" opt-out site, or by accessing the NAI opt-out site. Please note that this opt-out is cookie-based. If you buy a new computer, change web browsers or delete this cookie, you will need to perform the opt-out task again. To obtain instructions regarding deleting or disabling cookies from third party advertising companies that are not members of the About Ads or NAI self-regulatory behavioral ad opt-out groups, please click here.
In addition, some of the employers that use our Sites may place cookies on your computer through their job postings and may use such cookies to distinguish your web browser uniquely. Often, employers use such information to track the effectiveness of their job postings by measuring how many users who view their postings later became job applicants. To obtain guidance regarding deleting or disabling cookies, please click here.
For additional information on third party cookies that may be used on the Sites, click here.
Access Your Information
You may access Personal Information we maintain about you at any time by logging into your account. From there you may update and amend such information by making the necessary changes. You may also delete your account at any time by logging in to your account and making an account deletion request. Deleting your account will remove your Personal Information and CVs from our databases. However, if you have applied to a job in the past, that particular employer will still be able to access your application, including your CV and any other information you provided with such application. Further, you will not be able to delete data held by employers and other third parties that already have accessed and downloaded your information or CV. In addition, we will retain anonymous Aggregate Data for uses described above. Please allow up to thirty days to process your account deletion request.
Links to Other Websites
Our Sites may contain links to other sites for your convenience and information. These sites may be operated by companies not owned by CareerBuilder. In addition, if you are using our App through a social networking site, remember that our Apps may be served by or hosted by other sites. These other sites or linked third-party sites may have their own privacy notices, which you should review if you visit those sites. We are not responsible for the content of any sites not owned by CareerBuilder, any use of those sites, or those sites' privacy practices.
International Data Transfers
When we obtain Personal Information about you, we (or our service providers) may process and store the information outside of the country in which you are located, including in the United States. The countries in which we (or our service providers) process the information may not have the same data protection laws as the country in which you are located. Further, third parties who access your information, such as potential employers, also may be located in a different country than you and different laws may apply to their use of your information.
CareerBuilder, LLC complies with the U.S.-EU Safe Harbor Framework and the U.S.-Swiss Safe Harbor Framework as set forth by the U.S. Department of Commerce regarding the collection, use, and retention of personal information from European Union member countries and Switzerland. To learn more about the Safe Harbor program, and to view CareerBuilder, LLC's certification, please visit the U.S. Department of Commerce's Safe Harbor web site at http://www.export.gov/safeharbor/. You may also contact us directly to learn more about this certification.
CareerBuilder has further committed to refer unresolved privacy complaints under the US-EU and US-Swiss Safe Harbor Principles to an independent dispute resolution mechanism, the BBB EU SAFE HARBOR, operated by the Council of Better Business Bureaus. If you do not receive timely acknowledgment of your complaint, or if your complaint is not satisfactorily addressed by CareerBuilder, please visit the BBB EU SAFE HARBOR web site at www.bbb.org/us/safe-harbor-complaints for more information and to file a complaint.
How We Protect Personal Information
CareerBuilder maintains administrative, technical and physical safeguards designed to assist us in protecting the Personal Information we collect against accidental, unlawful or unauthorized destruction, loss, alteration, access, disclosure or use.
Please note that no electronic transmission of information can be entirely secure. We cannot guarantee that the security measures we have in place to safeguard Personal Information will never be defeated or fail, or that those measures will always be sufficient or effective. Therefore, although we are committed to protecting your privacy, we do not promise, and you should not expect, that your Personal Information will always remain private. As a user of the Sites, you understand and agree that you assume all responsibility and risk for your use of the Sites, the internet generally, and the documents you post or access and for your conduct on and off the Sites.
To further protect yourself, you should safeguard your CareerBuilder account user name and password and not share that information with anyone. You should also sign off your account and close your browser window when you have finished your visit to our Sites. Please note that we will never ask for your CareerBuilder account user name or password via email.
Some Important Tips To Use When Dealing With Prospective Employers
- You should use your own careful judgment about whether and what information to provide prospective employers.
- DO NOT PUT SENSITIVE PERSONAL INFORMATION SUCH AS YOUR SOCIAL SECURITY NUMBER OR NATIONAL IDENTIFICATION NUMBER ON YOUR CV.
- CareerBuilder's Sites are open to the public, and we cannot guarantee that all users of our services have a legitimate need to the information they seek.
- Identity thieves may attempt to trick you into providing sensitive personal information. Confirm the identity of the recipient before you provide your social security number, national identification number or any state, provincial or other local identification number to a prospective employer via online application or over the phone. Do not provide any non-work related personal information (e.g., eye color, marital status, etc.) over the phone or online.
- Job seekers should never provide credit card or bank numbers or engage in a monetary transaction of any sort.
- Be cautious when dealing with contacts outside of your own country.
California, USA Residents
California law permits its residents to request and receive information about a business' disclosure of certain categories of Personal Information to other companies for their use in direct marketing. If you are a California resident and a user of any of the Sites, you can request a copy of this information from CareerBuilder by sending an email to email@example.com or a letter to CareerBuilder at 5550-A Peachtree Parkway, Norcross, Georgia 30092, Attention: Customer Service. Please include your name and email address in email requests, and your name and postal address in mail requests.
We do not knowingly collect or solicit information from anyone under the age of 13. If you are under 13, please do not use the Sites. In the event that we learn that we have collected personal information from a child under the age of 13, we will delete that information as quickly as possible.
How to Contact Us