Technical Manager (Art Science Museum)
ArtScience Museum at Marina Bay Sands is the cultural institution in Singapore that explores the intersection between art, science, technology and culture. Since opening in February 2011, the museum has staged large-scale exhibitions by some of the world’s major artists, including Leonardo da Vinci, Salvador Dalí, Andy Warhol, Vincent Van Gogh, and M.C. Escher, as well as showing work by contemporary artists including Theo Jansen, Lynette Wallworth, Ryoji Ikeda, Yang Yongliang, Semiconductor, Olafur Eliasson, Anish Kapoor, Mariko Mori and many more. The museum has also presented significant exhibitions that explore aspects of science, including big data, particle physics, natural history, marine biology, cosmology and space exploration.
Featuring 21 gallery spaces totaling nearly 5000m2, the museum’s lotus-inspired building has staged major international exhibitions in partnership with renowned museums and galleries around the world, including the British Museum and the Natural History Museum in London, the American Museum of Natural History in New York, CCCB in Barcelona, the Ambrosiana in Milan, Mori Art Museum in Tokyo, the Australian Centre for Moving Image in Melbourne, and many others.
ArtScience Museum also originate and produce exhibitions in-house, and run a full programme of education, events, activities and learning opportunities for a wide range of audiences.
More information can be found here: http://www.marinabaysands.com/museum/
The new role of Technical Manager will provide technical leadership across the museum’s exhibitions, programmes and events, as well as managing the team who take care of the museum building.
The ideal post-holder will be an experienced manager and a good team leader, as well as having significant technical expertise in audio visual installations and / or art installation. The Technical Manager will be energetic, enthusiastic and technically confident. They will advocate for new technologies within the museum, and provide guidance on the existing technological systems.
The Technical Manager will be a key member of the Museum Services department, which is led by the Senior Manager & Conservator of ArtScience Museum. Museum Services is core to the work of the museum, supporting all the museum’s departments – Exhibitions, Programmes, Business Development and Administration.
The Technical Manager will also play a crucial role in the museum’s daily operations. Leading a team of technicians, the post-holder will ensure that the museum building, and its technical procedures and practices, meet expected international museum standards and align with the policies and directives of Marina Bay Sands.
i) Team Management
ArtScience Museum is seeking a ‘people person’ with good skills in line management. The Technical Manager will:
- Lead a team of technicians who deliver daily technical support and maintenance for all exhibitions, programmes and special events at the museum, as well as undertake other operational duties with the museum.
- Have direct line management responsibility for two technical supervisors, and delegated responsibility for six technicians (including permanent, temporary and casual staff). The Technical Manager may also be responsible, from time to time, for other freelancers and interns.
- Work closely with the Senior Manager & Conservator to identify training needs of the team, ensuring each person is equipped with the skills needed to deliver technical services to the museum.
- Manage performance, end of year review processes and continuing professional development, maintaining proper administration and documentation of team member records and training.
- Work with the Coordinator of Exhibitions & Museum Services to ensure that Marina Bay Sands’ annual processes, financial and administrative matters are dealt with appropriately and in a timely manner.
ii) Technical Leadership
A key component of this new role is to bring a passion for technology, technical expertise and technical confidence to the museum. ArtScience Museum sees itself as a 'different kind of museum' that showcases increasingly technology-focused exhibitions and programmes, alongside exhibitions of artefacts and artworks on loan from other museums. As such the new Technical Manager should:
- Understand, and show interest in, technical matters relating to both exhibitions and programmes to identify new ways of working and improvement.
- Draw on a strong expertise of a technical area related to our work (such as AV technology, engineering, exhibition technology, lighting, or any other technical area) to bring new energy and confidence into the team
- Attend meetings with partners and contribute technical expertise in an informed and positive way
iii) Technical Operations
The Technical Manager will have an overview of the technical requirements and systems needed to ensure that the museum’s daily operations run smoothly and meet international standards. The Technical Manager will:
- Support the technical team with maintaining all current exhibitions
- Engage in the planning for future exhibitions, programmes and business development events, in relation to their technical requirements
- Undertake Duty Management shifts, as required
- Work with other teams within ArtScience Museum or Marina Bay Sands on the preparation of tender documents and reports as required
iv) Maintenance and Facilities Coordination
Working closely with the Senior Manager & Conservator, the Technical Manager will liaise with the Marina Bay Sands Facilities department to ensure the upkeep and maintenance of the museum and its facilities. This will involve:
- Reviewing the facilities of the museum, initiating repairs, upgrades and capital works where applicable.
- Negotiating the business terms of contracts with any vendors as necessary, when they are required to work within the museum on operational matters.
- Working with the Public Areas Division and with Facilities to ensure the museum is clean and safe for visitors and for staff and guests of the museum, ensuring that the museum meets best practice in terms of building maintenance and management.
v) Safety and Compliance to Codes
The Technical Manager will work under the direction of the Senior Manager & Conservator, to ensure all operations and facilities are in compliance with all building codes, Workplace Safety and Health legislation, Fire Safety regulations and other statutory legal requirements. This will involve:
- Liaising with the Marina Bay Sands Facilities and Workplace Safety & Health teams
- Taking direction from the Senior Manager & Conservator on maintaining crisis response strategies, identifying and planning appropriate training for fire wardens within the museum teams, scheduling fire drills and security exercises.
- Assist the Museum’s Crisis Management team during emergencies or during any other security related incident in close consultation with Marina Bay Sands Security team as needed.
- Reviewing, implementing, embedding and improving SOPs in relation to museum operations and safety.
- At least 3 years’ experience of working in a technical management role in a museum, gallery, theatre, events company or similar setting.
- Experience in working with audio visual installation, including the use of projectors, monitors, lighting, and audio equipment, preferably in a managerial role.
- Experience of managing technical teams and working with rosters
- Budget and project management experience
- Excellent interpersonal skills and the ability to communicate at all levels, in writing and verbally
- Willingness to work to a flexible schedule
- An interest in the areas of work ArtScience Museum is engaged with – art, science, culture and technology
- An interest in the museum sector
- Knowledge of current issues around buildings, operations, audio visual and new technologies, particularly in relation to contemporary art, science or museums in general
- Experience of managing building development or renovation projects and working with Facilities and Building Management to deliver these on time and on budget
- Experience of art and object handling in a museum or cultural organisation, preferably in a managerial role
- Experience of managing and working with a broad and diverse range of people
- Experience of work with, and interpreting, technical and computer aided design drawings.
- Working at heights certification and/or experience
- Vertical Platform Lifter and/or Scissors lift license
- The ability to work under pressure and handle challenging situations
- Enthusiastic about technology and technical systems and technically confident
- Be able to make decisions and accept responsibility
- Pro-active and self-motivated
- A team player with good interpersonal skills
- Good management and negotiation skills
- Able to multi-task efficiently, manage and organise workload with a focus on positive outcomes and solutions