Teacher of Primary School Chinese [part-time]
UWCSEA Dover has a part-time vacancy for August 2020 for a Teacher of Chinese. The appointee will teach Primary School Chinese and must be experienced in teaching Chinese to this age group (4-11 years old).
In addition, the appointee will teach Chinese as part of the Home Language Programme (HLP). The HLP is for native (mother tongue) speakers who want to maintain their language spoken at home, gain cultural understanding of the language, as well as improve literacy skills (reading and writing) in their home language. The students’ ages range from 4 to 16 years old. Classes are taught in small groups of 3- 6 students of similar ages and linguistic level and take place after school (or at lunchtime for some younger students).
Please note: to apply for this role, you must be a Singapore Citizen, Permanent Resident or if you are a foreign applicant, you must have an internationally recognised qualification and reside in Singapore.
UWCSEA welcomes applications from all qualified candidates. We are committed to safeguarding our students and protecting them from harm. In keeping with the expectation that all staff and volunteers share this commitment, those applying for a position at the College must be willing to undergo employment background checks and screening appropriate to the post. If you have a strong sense of adventure and an exceptional level of commitment to teaching and learning, UWCSEA might be the perfect next step for you.
Here are some reasons why:
- You can be part of the College at an exciting time in its development. The implementation of our bespoke Collegewide curriculum, the integration of technology into teaching and learning, and a significant focus on educating for ethical dispositions are just some of the exciting initiatives our staff are currently involved in.
- As a not-for-profit organisation, we invest a percentage of income into scholarships for approximately 100 students each year. These scholars come from a wide variety of cultural and socioeconomic backgrounds. You can teach and learn from these exceptional students.
- Our academic results are outstanding, but our focus on holistic education means teachers are involved in all aspects of the programme. At UWCSEA you can take students trekking in the Himalayas or kayaking in Thailand, building houses in Cambodia or skiing in Switzerland. Equally, you can support them in making real connections with the local community, working with children with multiple disabilities or teaching life skills to domestic workers who have been victims of violence. All our students and teachers, from Kindergarten 1 to Grade 12 are involved in our activities, outdoor education and service programmes.
- We provide a professional learning programme that brings international experts to the school and supports teachers in their professional learning journey.
- Teachers should be willing to contribute positively to the collaborative culture of the Chinese and broader Primary School teams.
- Teachers should construct learning experiences that challenge students, support the diversity of learners in each classroom and demonstrate a strong commitment to conceptbased teaching and learning.
- Teachers should ensure assessments support ongoing learning and provide timely, relevant and appropriate feedback to students.
- Teachers should demonstrate effective classroom management that shows an understanding of the academic, social and emotional dimensions of learning.
- Teachers should keep parents informed about the learning of their children, and be proactive incommunication with parents.
- A good degree and a recognised teaching qualification or certification are expected.
- Experience of teaching Chinese to younger students would be highly desirable and experience or interest in curriculum development is advantageous.
- The ability to engage with students and engender enthusiasm for learning is a prerequisite for teaching at UWCSEA.
- Applicants should be enthusiastic about teaching within a multicultural environment. Flexibility of approach and a collaborative style are essential.
- Teachers should be willing and eager to participate in the five key elements of a UWCSEA education: Academics; Activities; Outdoor Education; Personal and Social Education and Service.
- Academic expectations include enthusiastic participation in Professional Learning.
- On average the College expects a yearly contribution of two sessions per week in each season to Activities and/or Service, or the equivalent for a part-time role.
- The College expects that teachers will participate enthusiastically in the curricular Outdoor Education experiences which are relevant to their students and will also occasionally volunteer for holiday Outdoor Education trips.
- A commitment to diversity and inclusion is essential alongside a willingness to adapt and develop pedagogy to meet the needs of our learners.
Along with a very competitive package, UWCSEA offers the incredibly high rewards that come from working with remarkable young people in a climate of innovation, collaboration and collegiality. Furthermore, the College offers outstanding levels of professional learning; we regularly hear from teachers that they learn more with us than at any other stage in their careers. Opportunities include structured internal courses, a self-driven Professional Learning Programme, support for further studies and an emphasis on concept-based teaching and learning. Above all, teachers are part of a professional learning community that allows them to share good practice and work with outstanding fellow teachers and practitioners.
Interested applicants, please submit an application via our portal by Tuesday, 5 May 2020.
UWCSEA welcomes applications from all qualified candidates. We are committed to safeguarding our students and protecting them from harm. In keeping with the expectation that all staff and volunteers share this commitment, those applying for a position at the College must be willing to undergo employment background checks and screening appropriate to the post. If you have a strong sense of adventure and an exceptional level of commitment to teaching and learning, UWCSEA might be the perfect next step for you visit our website to learn more.
Our school is committed to safeguarding and promoting the welfare of all the students in our care and expects all applicants to share this commitment. We follow safe recruitment practices and all appointments are subject to interview, satisfactory references, identity and criminal record checks.
United World College of South East Asia