Teacher of Middle School Mathematics
All applications must be submitted through our portal to be considered for the role. Please visit the career page on our portal for the full job details.
UWCSEA Dover has a vacancy for the 2021/2022 school year for a Teacher of Middle School Mathematics. The appointee will teach a range of classes from Grade 6 to Grade 8. The successful candidate will be able to demonstrate that they are an excellent and inspiring practitioner with the drive to continually develop within the profession.
Working with UWCSEA
UWCSEA welcomes applications from all qualified candidates. We are committed to safeguarding our students and protecting them from harm. In keeping with the expectation that all staff and volunteers to share this commitment, those applying for a position at the College must be willing to undergo employment background checks and screening appropriate to the post. If you have a strong sense of adventure and an exceptional level of commitment to teaching and learning, UWCSEA might be the perfect next step for you. Here are some reasons why:
- You can be part of the College at an exciting time in its development. The implementation of our bespoke College-wide curriculum, the integration of technology into teaching and learning, and a significant focus on educating for ethical dispositions are just some of the exciting initiatives our staff are currently involved in.
- As a non-profit organisation, we invest a percentage of income into scholarships for approximately 100 students each year. These scholars come from a wide variety of cultural and socio-economic backgrounds. You can teach and learn from these exceptional students.
- Our academic results are outstanding, but our focus on holistic education means teachers are involved in all aspects of the programme. At UWCSEA you can take students trekking in the Himalayas or kayaking in Thailand, building houses in Cambodia or skiing in Switzerland. Equally, you can support them in making real connections with the local community, working with children with multiple disabilities or teaching life skills to domestic workers who have been victims of violence. All our students and teachers, from Kindergarten 1 to Grade 12 are involved in our activities, outdoor education and service programmes.
- We provide a professional learning programme that brings international experts to the school and supports teachers in their professional learning journey.
- Teachers should be willing to contribute positively to the collaborative culture of the Mathematics and broader Middle School teams.
- Teachers should construct learning experiences that challenge students, support the diversity of learners in each classroom and demonstrate a strong commitment to concept-based teaching and learning.
- Teachers should ensure assessments support ongoing learning and provide timely, relevant and appropriate feedback to students on formative and summative assessments.
- Teachers should demonstrate effective classroom management that shows an understanding of the academic, social and emotional dimensions of learning.
- Teachers should keep parents informed about the learning of their children, and be proactive in communication with parents.
- A good degree in Mathematics or a closely related discipline and a recognized teaching qualification or certification are expected.
- Teachers should be willing and eager to participate in the five key elements of a UWCSEA education: Academics; Activities; Outdoor Education; Personal and Social Education and Service.
- Academic expectations include enthusiastic participation in Professional Learning.
- Pastoral expectations include the leadership of an advisory group, unless the teacher is exempted due to other responsibilities.
- On average the College expects a yearly contribution of two sessions per week in each season to Activities and/or Service.
- The College expects that teachers will participate enthusiastically in the curricular Outdoor Education experiences which are relevant to their students and will also occasionally volunteer for holiday Outdoor Education trips.
- A commitment to diversity and inclusion is essential alongside a willingness to adapt and develop pedagogy to meet the needs of our learners
- Applicants should have a passion for working with young adolescents and understand the unique developmental needs of 11–14 year old.
Along with a very competitive package, UWCSEA offers the incredibly high rewards that come from working with remarkable young people in a climate of innovation, collaboration and collegiality. Furthermore, the College offers outstanding levels of professional learning; we regularly hear from teachers that they learn more with us than at any other stage in their careers. Opportunities include structured internal courses, a self-driven Professional Learning Programme, support for further studies and an emphasis on concept-based teaching and learning. Above all, teachers are part of a professional learning community that allows them to share good practice and work with outstanding fellow teachers and practitioners.
Teachers arriving from overseas will be provided with relocation support, housing allowance, medical insurance, and repatriation support at the end of contract. Medical insurance is provided within industry-standard limits.
Teachers arriving from overseas may be entitled to tuition fee exemption for up to three (3) children at the College, subject to evaluation of available places at the time of offer and/or the existing HR benefits package. Teachers’ children are subject to the same admission standards as all other applicants. It should be noted that provision for learning support is limited in scope.
Interest applicants, please submit an application via our portal by Thursday, 3 December 2020.
UWCSEA welcomes applications from all qualified candidates.
Our school is committed to safeguarding and promoting the welfare of all the students in our care and expects all applicants to share this commitment. We follow safe recruitment practices and all appointments are subject to interview, satisfactory references, identity and criminal record checks.
UWCSEA is an equal opportunity employer, and welcomes applications from those who wish to join a community which is inclusive, and which celebrates diversity.
United World College of South East Asia