Teacher of English as an Additional Language
All applications must be submitted through our portal to be considered for the role.
Please visit https://www.uwcsea.edu.sg/uwcsea-careers/teaching-roles/posts-leadership-role-default-page-clone/~board/teaching-roles/post/teacher-of-english-as-an-additional-language on our portal for the full job details.
UWCSEA East has a vacancy for the 2021/2022 school year for a well-qualified and experienced Teacher of English as an Additional Language (EAL) for Middle School. We are looking for a specialist who can lead and teach across the Middle School Grades (ages 11-14).
- Support English Language Learners (ELLs) to achieve their potential and access the five elements of UWCSEA’s learning programme through the continual development of an effective Middle School English as an Additional Language (EAL) programme.
- Strategically lead the Middle School EAL programme in partnership with the Middle School Leadership Team and Heads of Department to best support Grade 6-8 English Language Learners.
- Teaching commitments will include team teaching, facilitating small group and individual learning, both within and outside of the classroom and leading teacher professional development.
Assessment and tracking
- Coordinate systems for monitoring and tracking the progress of English Language Learners within a concept- based curriculum.
- Conduct assessments for student applicants to UWCSEA who may have EAL needs and ensure appropriate provision is available on entry.
- Contribute to placement decisions in conjunction with the Middle School Leadership Team.
- Coordinate assessments of students who have been referred by teachers, and make recommendations for provision.
- Assist with providing differentiated programmes for individual students.
- Ensure the smooth transition between grades of students on the EAL register.
- Monitor assessment and progress of students in the EAL Programme across the school.
Administration and Communication
- Coordinate intervention and support across all learning areas.
- Maintain records on the College’s online information system.
- Manage the EAL budget and ordering of resources.
- Attend, as appropriate, departmental, grade level, school level, student support and curriculum meetings.
- Communicate proactively and regularly with class teachers, Heads of Department, Middle School Leadership Team and the Head of Student Support Services.
- Collaborate, as and when necessary, with K12 EAL colleagues on both campuses.
- Attend to own Professional Learning and keep abreast of current pedagogy in related fields.
- Facilitate and plan Professional Learning sessions for teachers, teaching assistants and parents.
- Plan interventions to be implemented by teaching assistants and teachers.
- Provide support for differentiated practice within the classroom to support all learners in accessing the curriculum.
- A relevant degree and a recognized teaching qualification or certification are essential.
- Experience in English Language Learning (EAL/ESL etc.) or Applied Linguistics with adolescent learners.
- Experience of strategically working towards greater inclusivity through an effective EAL programme within an international school setting would be an advantage.
- Excellent interpersonal skills, experience and pedagogical knowledge in areas outlined by the UWCSEA Learning Principles and the UWCSEA Profile.
- Experience of developing concept-based teaching approaches, contemporary assessment practices and the application of blended learning to enhance learning.
- Ability to inspire, lead and model pedagogical practices in EAL learning for improved student learning.
- Ability to collaborate effectively, communicate clearly, self-manage and to think and act in critical, creative and innovative ways to support teaching and learning across the Middle School.
Interest applicants, please submit an application via our portal by Sunday, 8 November 2020.
UWCSEA welcomes applications from all qualified candidates.
Our school is committed to safeguarding and promoting the welfare of all the students in our care and expects all applicants to share this commitment. We follow safe recruitment practices and all appointments are subject to interview, satisfactory references, identity and criminal record checks.
UWCSEA is an equal opportunity employer, and welcomes applications from those who wish to join a community which is inclusive, and which celebrates diversity.
United World College of South East Asia