Specialist, Occupational Hygiene (Occupational Safety and Health Division) - Contract
Purpose of the job
To provide specialist support and guidance in workplace health hazard identification, evaluation and control to meet the needs of stakeholders, and help ensure continual improvement in workplace environmental conditions by working in collaboration with internal and external partners, through programmes and activities in the areas of Occupational Hygiene standards, research and best practices.
You will be part of a dynamic team that is responsible for providing technical and specialist support on Occupational Hygiene at workplaces. Your roles and responsibilities will include the following:
- Set and enforce Occupational Hygiene standards at the national level for the control of health hazards (e.g. noise, chemicals, heat, poor ergonomics and lighting) at the workplace.
- Ensure that work environment investigation, enforcement and surveillance activities, as well as Occupational Hygiene programmes (e.g. chemical management, noise and asbestos control programmes) are effective and keeping with technological developments.
- Conduct operational and field research on Occupational Hygiene to delineate high risk workplaces and evaluate exposure risks; explore hygiene assessment and investigation tools; and find innovative solutions and alternative technologies in hazard prevention and control.
- Lead or participate in the development of legislation, Singapore Standards, Codes of Practice and other technical materials in the field of Occupational Hygiene. This will also include conducting review of relevant local and international standards to determine its relevancy and recommend appropriate requirements for adoption as reasonably practicable measures in ensuring the safe conduct of work.
- Work with the Workplace Safety and Health Council and Workplace Safety and Health Institute to promote best practices and build capability in occupational safety and health among safety and health professionals, employers, employees, service providers, and other stakeholders.
Possess a tertiary qualification in Mechanical, Chemical or Environmental Engineering. Preferably one with a M.Sc. in Industrial Hygiene or CIH (Certified Industrial Hygienist) certification.
- Preferably 2 years’ experience in Occupational Hygiene or occupational safety and health work;
- Effective in problem analysis and decision making – identifying problems, recognizing symptoms, root causes and alternative solutions, making timely and sound decisions;
- Good communication and interpersonal skills, including the ability to speak or present effectively, and write clearly and effectively;
- Good interpersonal skills, including the ability to develop and maintain cooperative working relationships with peers, subordinates and superiors;
- Ability to work effectively under pressure, and respond appropriately and competently to challenges.
Ministry of Manpower (MOM)