Senior Systems Engineer, Office of Integrated Information Technology Services
- Infrastructure Management
- Plan, development, deployment, and maintenance of Cloud hosted services to achieve high reliability and scalability for SMU IT services.
- Responsible for developing and implementing IT security policies and IT security related procedures to protect SMU Cloud Infrastructure.
- Identify and evaluate operations and support the premise enterprise private cloud computing service as well as all related core infrastructure hardware. Manage and support Cloud orchestration services to meet SMU’s computing needs for enterprise IT services.
- Plan, implement and maintenance of enterprise and research infrastructure in SMU that include private and public cloud computing as well as all relevant research hardware to meet SMU’s research computing needs for the various research areas.
- Plan, formulate and architect the growth of research infrastructure to cater to the needs of SMU researchers so as to provide a boost for faculty productivity in research.
- Create and enforce acceptable usage standards, policies and processes for both enterprise private and public computing services as well as other enterprise services such as virtualisation (VDI), storage and backup.
- Proficient in Data Center Management and responsible for the efficient & reliable operations of Data Centres.
- Develop and maintain system operation procedures (e.g. IT Disaster Recovery) to achieve improved service availability, reliability and redundancy.
- Consultancy and Support
- Provide guidance on cloud-based solutions including tools, technologies and best practices as well as consultancy across the IT divisions and businesses on the adoption of cloud.
- Provide 1st level consultation advice to users in the areas of mapping user’s business and functional requirements to enterprise cloud computing service. Induct and assist cloud users on using, optimizing and troubleshooting their applications in the cloud.
- Provide consultation advice to Faculty and post-graduates in the general areas of mathematical computing and computational use on the High Performance Computing Cluster (HPCC). Communicate technology limitations/features and sets expectations.
- Provide support and consultancy to user in core enterprise services such as infrastructure systems and network.
- Conduct induction courses to raise awareness of the cloud computing and research platforms to the SMU community. Prepare presentations, documentation and user’s guide for users of cloud computing services and HPCC.
- Manage IT project for existing system enhancement and new system implementation. Identify and evaluate operations & support of the on premise enterprise private cloud computing service as well as all related core infrastructure hardware. Manage and support cloud orchestration services to meet SMU’s computing needs for enterprise IT services.
- Establish project plans, milestones and deliverables in consultation with immediate supervisor.
- Provide leadership to project team to ensure that proposals, plans and projects (technical) are evaluated and successfully executed.
- Monitor user requirements to keep up-to-date with latest technology developments in order to plan and improve the quality of use of cloud and research computing resources to encourage and increase utilization.
- Analyze enterprise and research infrastructure implementations and make changes as required; particularly with the increase usage and higher capacity demand from users.
- Responsible for managing and handling cloud service and/ or orchestration related problems faced by SMU users in the use of public and private provided cloud computing environment.
- Degree in Computer Science, Computer Engineering, Electronics/ Electrical Engineering or related disciplines
- Candidates with relevant experience in Enterprise Cloud Computing and Research Infrastructure support will be highly advantaged
- At least 5 years of relevant working experience in IT and infrastructure systems support; ideally in a research centre/ academic setting
- Strong knowledge in cloud computing orchestration and implementation. Competencies in cloud orchestration services mentioned below are highly desired:
- Composing of architecture, tools and processes to deliver the cloud computing service
- Integrating software and hardware components together to deliver the cloud computing service
- Connecting and automating of work flows when applicable to deliver the cloud computing service
- Experience and expertise working with Microsoft Azure and AWS experience would be desirable
- Relevant working experiences in Windows, Linux and Unix systems administration. Linux/ Unix certifications will be an added advantage
- Competencies in High Performance Computing (HPC) with skills in some of these programming languages: C, C++, JAVA, Perl/ Linux shell scripting are highly desired
- Good technical, analytical and troubleshooting skills and confident in providing frontline consultation and expertise applied across the many academic disciplines/ areas
- Excellent command of written and oral communication skills
- Attention to details and sound decision-making abilities
- Good interpersonal and customer servicing skills
- Enthusiastic and motivated team player
- Independent, with initiative, positive attitude and keen interest in exploring the areas of emerging cloud technologies
Candidates who do not possess the stipulated qualifications but have relevant work experience may still apply. Remuneration and appointment terms shall commensurate with qualifications and experience. SMU reserves the right to modify the appointment terms where necessary.
Singapore Management University