Senior Engineer (Database)
Summary of Job Responsibilities
The Senior Engineer (Database) will be responsible for the implementation, configuration, maintenance, and performance of critical SQL/Oracle server systems. This is a 'hands-on' position requiring competent technical skills, as well as excellent interpersonal and communication skills.
The successful candidate will be responsible for the development and sustainment of the SQL & Oracle servers, ensuring its operational readiness (security, health and performance), executing data loads, and performing data modeling in support of multiple development teams.
Key Primary Responsibilities
- Manage SQL & Oracle server databases through multiple product lifecycle environments, from development to mission-critical production systems.
- Configure and maintain database servers and processes, including monitoring of system health and performance, to ensure high levels of performance, availability, and security.
- Able to provide up to Level 3 escalated support and major/minor operation incident
- Working with vendors to resolve of complex issue and RCA analysis.
- Apply data modeling techniques to ensure development and implementation support efforts meet integration and performance expectations.
- Develop, manage and follow all internal Standard Operational Procedures.
- Independently analyze, solve, and correct issues in real time, providing problem resolution end-to-end.
- Refine and automate regular processes, track issues, and document changes.
- Assist developers with complex query tuning and schema refinement.
- provide 24x7 support for critical production systems, including weekends & public holidays.
- Perform scheduled maintenance and support release deployment activities after hours.
- Share domain and technical expertise, providing technical mentorship and cross-training to other peers.
- Must be capable of working independently and collaboratively.
Education & Certification
- Degree in Information Technology / Services related curriculum preferred.
- Oracle Database Certification or Microsoft SQL certification preferred.
- Formal training and certification in System Management.
- ITIL Foundation.
- Minimum 10+ years hands-on experience in an Oracle/SQL environment
- Experience in ITIL and processes in Service Request, Incident, problem and change management
- Experience of one or more of the following:
- Performance monitoring of the critical databases
- Backup and Recovery
- Security management in SQL/Oracle security framework & audit compliance.
- Performance tuning and database availability.
- Handle Oracle RAC configuration/setup
- Monitor/Troubleshoot RMAN backups.
- Working experience in DR exercises and clustering methods.
- Working knowledge of Oracle version 10g, 11g.
- Competent knowledge of Oracle RAC/ Data Guard & RMAN Backups.
- Working experiences of SQL security framework and Active Directory.
- Enthusiastic and a strong desire to learn
- IT internal processes, policies and procedures
- Working knowledge of VMware VSphere/VCenter console.