Registrar / Senior Registrar
ArtScience Museum is the cultural institution in Singapore that explores the intersection between art, science, technology and culture. It is the cultural component of Marina Bay Sands. Since opening in February 2011, the museum has staged large-scale exhibitions by some of the world’s most famous artists, including Leonardo da Vinci; Salvador Dalí; Andy Warhol; Vincent van Gogh and M.C. Escher. The museum has also commissioned new work as well as presenting significant exhibitions that explore aspects of science such as big data, particle physics, paleontology, marine biology and space exploration.
The museum presents exhibitions and programmes about art and science using a combination of intellectual discussion, education, innovative design and interactive content. Featuring 21 gallery spaces totaling nearly 5000m2, the architect-designed lotus-inspired building has played host to major international touring exhibitions from renowned museums and galleries around the world, including the British Museum and the Science Museum in London; the American Museum of Natural History in New York; Centre de Cultura Contemporània, Barcelona; the Ambrosiana, Milan; the Mori Art Museum, Japan and many others. ArtScience Museum also originates and produces exhibitions in-house and runs a full programme of education, events, activities and learning opportunities for a wide range of audiences.
The Exhibitions Department at ArtScience Museum is responsible for developing and implementing the programme of temporary and permanent exhibitions that reaches over 500,000 visitors annually.
Please refer to our website for more details about our exhibitions and our work.
The Registrar / Senior Registrar (depending on experience) at ArtScience Museum will be responsible for effective exhibition and collection management practices that will include negotiation and procurement of art logistics/transport; insurance; packing and unpacking supervision; management of couriers and maintaining records of movement, storage, exhibition and location of artworks and artefacts in order to meet or exceed international standards relating to collections and exhibitions.
Summary of Key Responsibilities:
- Coordinates with lenders (institutional and/or private) and manages loan requirements including environmental, security, showcase alarm systems, lighting and mounting methodology
- Coordinates and manages all logistics for crating and shipping, locally and internationally, including insurance and tenders
- Oversees and documents loading and unloading of collections, quarantine (if necessary), handling, packing, crating and installation of objects
- Work with curators, project managers and exhibition design/build contractors on exhibition layout requirements
- With the Senior Conservator monitors collection/exhibition whilst on display and completes weekly inspection reports
- With the Senior Conservator maintains records, condition reports and documentation of all artworks/objects/artefacts in transit and on display at the museum including: visual examination, condition reporting and photographic documentation as necessary
- Updates the museum’s facility reports and annexes
- Prepares artworks/artefacts for exhibition and/or storage, working with curators, project managers, Senior Conservator and contractors agree mounting and demounting, labeling, packing and cleaning of artworks/artefacts
- Maintain storage facilities, manage space utilization and supervises storage reorganization as necessary
- Monitors environmental conditions for exhibitions galleries and storage facilities
- Leads collections/exhibitions emergency preparedness and recovery plan
- Manages budgets for collection/exhibition supplies, art handlers and shipping of objects
- Manages and supports the training and development of an Assistant Registrar
- Reviews and where necessary develops museum-wide systems and procedures for effective exhibitions management in consultation with the senior team
- Some experience of preparing and managing exhibition tours (outward)
Qualifications and Experience
- Professional and motivated with at least four years’ working experience within a museum environment in a registrarial role or collection management
- Experience of museum collections management practice i.e. storage, conservation, packing, transportation / customs documentation etc.
- Some experience of commissioning of artworks and exhibition design
- A postgraduate degree, preferably in collections management or museum studies
- Additional formal qualifications in management or a field relevant to the museum’s areas of endeavor an advantage
- Experience of acting as a courier, with the potential to travel nationally and internationally
- Willingness to work flexibly
- Excellent negotiation skills and a diplomatic approach to problem solving
- Able to initiate and maintain excellent relationships with artists, lenders, museums and institutions nationally and internationally as well as across the museum and Marina Bay Sands
- Ability to manage multiple projects simultaneously
- Ability to work effectively under pressure
- Forward thinking with the ability to anticipate problems before they arise
- Strong team-work and management skills
- Strong organisational skills and a meticulous attention to detail
- IT literate specifically Windows applications
- Excellent spoken and written English, other languages an asset
Note: we regret that only shortlisted candidates will be notified.
Marina Bay Sands Pte Ltd