Primary EAL Teacher [Part-Time]
UWCSEA East Campus is seeking a qualified and experienced teacher of English as an Additional Language (EAL) to work in the Primary School to start immediately until June 2021 with the possibility of extending into our next academic year.
A relevant degree, teaching qualification and minimum 5 years teaching experience is essential. We are looking for a specialist who can teach across the Primary School Grades. Our Primary School EAL programme is actively growing and this is an exciting opportunity to help to shape it to meet the needs of our English Language Learners.
The successful candidate will be hired on a part-time basis under a local contract.
Working at UWCSEA
If you have a strong sense of adventure and an exceptional level of commitment to teaching and learning, UWCSEA might be the perfect next step for you. Here are some reasons why:
- You can be part of the College at an exciting time in its development. The implementation of our bespoke College-wide curriculum, the integration of technology into teaching and learning, and a significant focus on educating for ethical dispositions are just some of the exciting initiatives our staff are currently involved in.
- As a non-profit organisation, we invest a percentage of income into scholarships for approximately 100 students each year. These scholars come from a wide variety of cultural and socio-economic backgrounds. You can teach and learn from these exceptional students.
- Our academic results are outstanding, but our focus on holistic education means teachers are involved in all aspects of the programme. At UWCSEA you can take students trekking in the Himalayas or kayaking in Thailand, building houses in Cambodia or skiing in Switzerland. Equally, you can support them in making real connections with the local community, working with children with multiple disabilities or teaching life skills to domestic workers who have been victims of violence. All our students and teachers, from Kindergarten 1 to Grade 12 are involved in our activities, outdoor education and service programmes.
- We provide a professional learning programme that brings international experts to the school and supports teachers in their professional learning journey.
UWCSEA welcomes applications from all qualified candidates. We are an equal opportunity employer committed to safeguarding our students and protecting them from harm
Maintain an effective EAL programme to support English Language Learners to achieve their potential and access the five elements of UWCSEA’s learning programme.
Support school policies and collaborate with Heads of Grade and Primary EAL Coordinator to achieve goals. Work alongside teachers in supporting English Language Learners from K1 to Grade 5.
- Teaching commitments will include planning, team teaching, facilitating small group and individual learning, both within and outside of the classroom and collaborating to plan professional development of teachers and teaching assistants
Assessment and tracking
- Monitor and track the progress of English Language Learners in English within a concept- based curriculum
- Assist, where necessary, in admissions assessments for student applicants to UWCSEA who may have EAL needs under the guidance of the EAL Coordinator
- Contribute to placement decisions in conjunction with the EAL Coordinator, coordinate assessments of students who have been referred by teachers, and make recommendations for provision
- Assist with providing differentiated programmes for individual students
- Ensure the smooth transition between grades of students on the EAL register
- Monitor assessment and progress of students in the EAL Programme
Administration and Communication
- Coordinate intervention and support across all learning areas
- Maintain records on the College’s online information system
- Attend, as appropriate, grade level, school level, student support and curriculum meetings
- Communicate proactively and regularly with class teachers and Heads of Grade
- Attend to own Professional Learning and keep abreast of current pedagogy in related fields
- Assist the EAL Coordinator when necessary in delivering professional learning to teachers and teaching assistants
- Plan interventions to be implemented by teaching assistants and teachers
- Provide support for differentiated practice within the classroom to support all learners in accessing the curriculum.
- A relevant degree and a recognized teaching qualification or certification are essential
- Recent formal training and/or experience in English Language Learning (EAL/ESL, CLIL, EMI etc.) or Applied Linguistics
- Excellent interpersonal skills, intercultural communication skills, experience and pedagogical knowledge in areas outlined by the UWCSEA Learning Principles and the UWCSEA Profile.
- Experience of developing concept-based teaching material, contemporary assessment practices and the application of blended learning to enhance learning.
- Ability to collaborate effectively, communicate clearly, self-manage and to think and act in critical, creative and innovative ways to support teaching and learning.
- The College expects that teachers will participate enthusiastically in the five key elements of a UWCSEA education: Academics; Activities; Outdoor Education; Personal and Social Education and Service
- A commitment to diversity and inclusion is essential alongside a willingness to adapt and develop pedagogy to meet the needs of our learners
Along with a very competitive package, UWCSEA offers the incredibly high rewards that come from working with remarkable young people in a climate of innovation, collaboration and collegiality. Furthermore, the College offers outstanding levels of professional learning; we regularly hear from teachers that they learn more with us than at any other stage in their careers. Opportunities include structured internal courses, a self-driven Professional Learning Programme, support for further studies and an emphasis on concept-based teaching and learning. Above all, teachers are part of a professional learning community that allows them to share good practice and work with outstanding fellow teachers and practitioners.
All positions are subject to the employment requirements of the Singapore government.
Apply via our job portal by Sunday, 21 February 2021
UWCSEA welcomes applications from all qualified candidates.
Our school is committed to safeguarding and promoting the welfare of all the students in our care and expects all applicants to share this commitment. We follow safe recruitment practices and all appointments are subject to interview, satisfactory references, identity and criminal record checks.
UWCSEA is an equal opportunity employer, and welcomes applications from those who wish to join a community which is inclusive, and which celebrates diversity.
United World College of South East Asia