Outdoor Education Specialist
UWCSEA has a vacancies for March 2021 at its Dover and East Campus for Outdoor Education Specialists.
The Outdoor Education Specialists are responsible for design and delivery of the Outdoor Education programme K-12 during term time and high school expeditions during some of the school holidays.
The Outdoor Education department supports an articulated programme ensuring successful curriculum-based, interdisciplinary experiential learning activities and expeditions, on campus, local to Singapore and overseas (when that becomes possible again)
NOTE: Due to COVID 19 adaptations to the outdoor ed programme include campus based adventure, and local Singapore micro-adventure until restrictions lift and confidence to overseas travel returns.
- Outdoor Education Specialists are expected to lead students on residential expeditions and create memorable experiences by allowing students to take on experiential challenges that build resilience, collaboration, leadership skills and connection to nature.
- Demonstrate competencies and conducting adventure activities such as camp craft, mountaineering, trekking, climbing, sea and white-water kayaking, and dinghy sailing.
- Be able to diligently and confidently attend to wilderness first aid and child safeguarding situations during expeditions.
- Delivering day sessions to students eg. High Ropes Course, Expedition Training, Kayaking.
- Curriculum development, office-based planning and preparation for expeditions including liaising with third-party providers, reviewing Standard Operating Procedures, and maintaining equipment.
NOTE: Due to COVID 19 duties will require a flexible and creative approach.
- Qualified candidates, who have experience working and living in South East Asia.
- A good Degree and a recognized teaching qualification or relevant certifications is preferred.
- Minimum of 5 years experience working with students on Outdoor Education
- Desirable National Governing Body (NGB) Qualifications or equivalent experience in:
- Wilderness Advanced First Aid
- Powerboat Driver or Safety Boat
- Singapore Marine Port Authority Powered Pleasure Craft Driving Licence,
- Dinghy Sailing Instructor
- Kayak Coach / White Water and/or Sea Kayak Leader
- Raft Guide
- White Water Rescue Technician
- Mountain Leader
- Cycling/Mountain Biking Instructor
- Climbing Instructor
- Ropes Course Instructor
- Caving Instructor
- National Youth Achievement Award or Duke of Edinburgh International Award Assessor
- Able to train and assess National Governing Body Awards
- Expectations include enthusiastic participation in Professional Learning.
- A commitment to diversity and inclusion is essential alongside a willingness to adapt and develop pedagogy to meet the needs of our learners.
- Experienced Instructors with experience traveling to various destinations in SE Asia and beyond is desirable.
- DBS Check (Criminal Records Bureau) or equivalent,
- Experienced Child Safeguarding.
- Self-motivated, well organized, computer literate, conscientious, and resilient.
- Traveling on overseas expeditions approximately 20 weeks per year. (when such travel resumes)
- Previous experience working with UWCSEA students is an advantage.
- Applicants with less experience or qualifications may be considered for Outdoor Education Specialist development pathway
UWCSEA welcomes applications from all qualified candidates.
Our school is committed to safeguarding and promoting the welfare of all the students in our care and expects all applicants to share this commitment. We follow safe recruitment practices and all appointments are subject to interview, satisfactory references, identity and criminal record checks.
UWCSEA is an equal opportunity employer, and welcomes applications from those who wish to join a community which is inclusive, and which celebrates diversity.
United World College of South East Asia