Outdoor Education Specialist
UWCSEA East has a vacancy for August 2020 for an Outdoor Education Specialist to join a committed team who are responsible for delivering the Middle School Outdoor Education programme (Grade 6 to 8 - 11 to 14-year-olds) and to travel with Grade 9 expeditions during the school holidays. The Outdoor Education Department supports an articulated programme from K1 to G11 to ensure successful curriculum-based activities and expeditions. The Outdoor Education Specialists also run the College Ropes Programme at the Colleges Climbing Walls and High Ropes Course.
Please note: programme variations to accommodate safety and travel restrictions in light of COVID 19 will be in place for the academic year commencing August 2020; this will include delivery of modified outdoor education activities on campus and within Singapore that continue to provide opportunities for student learning.
UWCSEA welcomes applications from qualified candidates. If you have a strong sense of adventure and an exceptional level of commitment to teaching and learning, UWCSEA might be the perfect next step for you. Here are some reasons why:
- Learn with and from leaders in international education. We provide a professional learning programme that brings international experts to the school and ensures our teachers learn and grow as practitioners and leaders in their time with us.
- Work with exceptional students. Our students are a remarkable community of young people with diverse backgrounds and experiences who are united in a common purpose. In addition, as a non-profit organisation, we invest a percentage of income into scholarships for approximately 100 students each year. These scholars come from a wide variety of cultural and socio-economic backgrounds.
- Immerse yourself in a holistic education. Our academic results are outstanding, but our focus on holistic education means teachers are involved in all aspects of the programme. At UWCSEA students have opportunities of trekking in the Himalayas, kayaking in Malaysia or Nepal, building houses in Cambodia or skiing in Japan. Equally, you can support students in making real connections with the local community, working with children with multiple disabilities or teaching life skills to domestic workers who have been the victims of violence. All our students and teachers, from Kindergarten 1 to Grade 12 are involved in our activities, outdoor education and service programmes.
- Commit to a mission that guides everything we do. UWCSEA is a member of the UWC Movement, whose mission is to make education a force to unite people, nations and cultures for peace and a sustainable future. At UWCSEA, all our students from K1 to Grade 12 are developing the ethical dispositions that will empower them to embrace challenge and take responsibility for shaping a better world.
- Outdoor Education Specialists are expected to lead students on residential expeditions and create memorable experiences by allowing students to take on experiential challenges that build resilience, collaboration, leadership skills and connection to nature.
- Demonstrate competencies and conducting adventure activities such as camp craft, mountaineering, trekking, climbing, sea and white-water kayaking, and dinghy sailing.
- Be able to diligently and confidently attend to wilderness first aid and child safeguarding situations during expeditions.
- Delivering day sessions to students eg. High Ropes Course, Expedition Training, Kayaking.
- Curriculum development, office-based planning and preparation for expeditions including liaising with third-party providers, reviewing Standard Operating Procedures, and maintaining equipment.
NOTE: Due to COVID 19 duties will require a flexible and creative approach and will include working with Primary School students aged 6 to 10 years.
- Qualified candidates who are currently residing in Singapore and eligible to work in Singapore.
- A good Degree and a recognized teaching qualification or relevant certifications is preferred.
- Desirable Qualifications or Equivalent experience in RYA Powerboat L2 or Safety Boat, RYA Dinghy Sailing Instructor, BC Sea Kayak Leader or Equivalent ACA, Mountain Leader / International Mountain Leader, Mountain Biking, Ropes Course, Caving, NYAA or Duke of Edinburgh International Award Assessor.
- Expectations include enthusiastic participation in Professional Learning.
- A commitment to diversity and inclusion is essential alongside a willingness to adapt and develop pedagogy to meet the needs of our learners.
- Experienced Instructors with experience traveling to various destinations in SE Asia and beyond is desirable.
- Experienced and able to coach skills such as Camp craft, Team building, Mountaineering and Trekking, Climbing, Cycling/ Mountain Biking, Sea and/or White Water Kayaking, Dinghy Sailing, DBS Check (Criminal Records Bureau) or equivalent, Wilderness First Aid or equivalent and Child Safeguarding.
- Self-motivated, well organized, computer literate, conscientious, and resilient in traveling on overseas expeditions approximately 20 weeks per year.
- Previous experience working with UWCSEA students is an advantage.
- Applicants with less experience or qualifications may be considered for Outdoor Education Specialist development pathway
Interested applicants, please submit an application via our portal by Monday, 25 May 2020.
UWCSEA welcomes applications from all qualified candidates. We are committed to safeguarding our students and protecting them from harm. In keeping with the expectation that all staff and volunteers share this commitment, those applying for a position at the College must be willing to undergo employment background checks and screening appropriate to the post. If you have a strong sense of adventure and an exceptional level of commitment to teaching and learning, UWCSEA might be the perfect next step for you visit our website to learn more.
Our school is committed to safeguarding and promoting the welfare of all the students in our care and expects all applicants to share this commitment. We follow safe recruitment practices and all appointments are subject to interview, satisfactory references, identity and criminal record checks.
United World College of South East Asia