Network Engineer / Senior Network Engineer , IITS
- This position is for Office of Integrated Information Technology Services (IITS).
- Infrastructure Management
- Plan, implement and maintenance of Enterprise firewalls, Wi-Fi systems, network, telephony & security infrastructure in SMU as well as relevant hardware to meet SMU’s networking needs for teaching, learning & the various research areas.
- Plan, formulate and architect the growth of network infrastructure to cater to the needs of SMU community so as to provide a boost for staff productivity.
- Manage and operate installed Enterprise firewall, Wi-Fi systems, network, telephony & security infrastructure to maintain high availability and performance of all IT systems while also driving projects for improvements and enhancements. Continually seek improvement within the network, telephony & security infrastructure.
- Responsible for implementing IT network policies and related procedures to protect SMU enterprise network infrastructure.
- Implement and enforce security measures and procedures (e.g. patch management, risk assessment and application vulnerability scanning) to protect SMU’s network resources.
- Maintain network operation procedures (e.g. IT Disaster Recovery) to achieve improved service availability, reliability and redundancy.
- Consultancy and Support
- Provide support and consultancy to user in the areas of core enterprise IT services such as Network Security, network, Wi-Fi, IP telephony systems and security. Communicate technology limitations or features and sets expectations.
- Responsible for smooth operations of SMU’s enterprise Firewalls, Wi-Fi systems, network, telephony & security infrastructure; ensuring the continuous high availability and performance of the communications and connection within and outside of SMU.
- Identify, evaluate operations and support of core enterprise network services as well as related infrastructure hardware.
- Projects and Operations
- Manage IT project for existing Network Infrastructure enhancement and new system implementation such as preventive network monitoring, maintenance and proactive analysis of network traffics.
- Establish project plans, milestones and deliverables in consultation with immediate supervisor.
- Provide leadership to project team to ensure that proposals, plans and projects (technical) are evaluated and successfully executed.
- Monitor user requirements to keep up-to-date with latest technology developments in order to plan and improve the quality of use of enterprise network resources.
- Analyze enterprise infrastructure implementations and make changes as required; particularly with the increase usage and higher capacity demand from users.
- Responsible for managing network operation and related administrative tasks. Ensure and improve the operations of the university’s enterprise network infrastructure within allocated budget.
- Degree Computer Science, Electronic/ Electrical Engineering or related disciplines or relevant practical hands-on experience.
- Experience in Enterprise Firewall, Wi-Fi, Computer Networking & Voice support and administration with relevant network certifications will be highly advantaged.
- Minimum 5 years of relevant working experience in IT and network infrastructure systems support; ideally in an academic setting.
- Familiar with operation of Cisco, Juniper Network equipment, Aruba Wireless Infrastructure, Palo-Alto, Fortinet Firewalls, VPN, SIEM, Intrusion Prevention/Detection, IP Telephony System, Network security & vulnerabilities assessment.
- Network administration and management experience in a heterogeneous environment (Cisco, Juniper, Palo-Alto, Fortinet and Aruba) is highly preferred.
- Good knowledge of Connectivity, Broadband technologies, Internet, Web, DNS, MRTG and Network Monitoring tools.
- Good technical, analytical and troubleshooting skills and confident in providing frontline consultation and expertise applied across the many academic disciplines / areas.
- Excellent command of written and oral communication skills.
- Good interpersonal and customer servicing skills. Enthusiastic and motivated team player.
- Independent, with initiative, positive attitude and keen interest in exploring the areas of emerging cloud technologies.
- Attention to details and sound decision-making abilities.
Candidates who do not possess the stipulated qualifications but have relevant work experience may still apply. Remuneration and appointment terms shall commensurate with qualifications and experience. SMU reserves the right to modify the appointment terms where necessary.
Singapore Management University