Legal Counsel, Legal Department
Roles & Responsibilities
At Intellectual Property Office of Singapore, we drive Singapore’s future economic growth with our technical expertise and global networks. We are an innovation agency that works with others to foster a vibrant IP and innovation ecosystem where today’s ideas become tomorrow’s assets.
To achieve this, we will offer go-getting individuals a place where their talent and opinions are valued. To succeed as an organization, we believe in empowering individuals while working as a team of professionals with honesty and displaying integrity as core values. We invest heavily in our people so that they get the development and exposure they need to succeed. IPOS is a great place to work, learn and belong.
An opportunity has arisen for a dynamic, resourceful and pro-active candidate to join the Legal Department. You will be part of a team that provides a comprehensive range of legal services and creative solutions for IP-related legal, policy and regulatory issues, playing a key role in shaping Singapore’s innovation and IP landscape. There will be ample opportunities to hone legal skills and gain exposure to public sector work and policy-making.
Reporting to the Director of the Legal Department, you will be part of a team that carries out the following:
- Provision of timely, practical and commercially-sound legal advice to business units within IPOS to support their projects or work activities, or value-add to their business or policy objectives.
- Translation of the policies of the IP Registries or other business units within IPOS into legislation.
- Policy review and implementation for non-registrable IP rights.
- Provision of specialist IP advice to government agencies on IP issues and practices.
- Management of IP issues in Free Trade Agreements and other international agreements.
- Represent Singapore in regional and multilateral IP fora.
- Good honours degree from the law school of a reputable university.
- Minimum 2 years relevant working experience and called to the Singapore Bar.
- Familiarity with the law, policies and practices in at least one key practice area of IP law. Experience in the law and practice of Copyright will be advantageous.
- Able to work independently and as part of a team.
- Willing to work hard and under pressure and handle a wide range of legal work in a dynamic and challenging environment.
- Strong analytical and communication skills.
- Experience in government or a public agency is not required but will be regarded favourably.
An attractive remuneration package that commensurate with qualifications and experience will be offered to the right candidate. We regret that only shortlisted candidates will be notified for an interview.