Legal Counsel (Construction)
Summary of Job Responsibilities
The role involves primarily working with the Expansion Project construction team to negotiate and draft construction agreements related to the expansion of MBS, advice on and handle construction related claims and manage disputes resolutions. This will involve providing strategic and other advice and assistance to the construction and procurement teams.
- Reviewing, negotiating and drafting of construction agreements relating to the Expansion Project;
- Advising the construction team on construction related legal matters including claims for variation and extensions of time claims (“Claims”), and the Building and Construction Industry Security of Payment Act (“SOP Act”);
- Review draft responses prepared by the constriction commercial team in respect of Claims and Payment Responses under the SOP act and where necessary, drafting responses to Claims lodged by consultants and contractors and Payment Responses;
- Managing construction related dispute resolution including adjudication claims under the SOP Act;
- Liaising with the construction team including the Lead Consultant and Qualified Person to ensure compliance by the Company with the relevant construction related statutes and subsidiary legislation.
- At least 6-8 years PQE in construction law from a reputable mid to top tier law firm or a well-regarded in-house legal team.
- Experience in drafting and negotiating construction agreements.
- Familiar with construction law concepts
- Be able to advice and manage contractual claims and dispute resolution
- Be a strong communicator and possess a commercially savvy approach to legal matters.
- Ability to construct the Expansion Project on a compressed timeline
- Confident, possess initiative and have the ability to prioritize, multitask and work under pressure.