Head of Professional Learning & Development
UWCSEA has a vacancy for Jan 2021 for a dual campus role Head of Professional Learning and Development position reporting to the Heads of Campus and Director of HR. The purpose of this role is to take a lead role in all aspects of professional learning at UWCSEA, working in consultation with LLT (Learning Leadership Team), College Leadership Team & HR team to implement a strategic vision, that aligns planning for professional learning for all academic and administration staff, with the needs of the College Strategic Plan, the dual Campus plans and the existing professional learning programme for academic and administration staff.
*To support and promote the UWCSEA culture of learning and personal growth
*To maintain the reputation of the College as a global leader and centre of innovation for professional learning
*To support College events including activities relating to engagement and external relations
- Advocate for the UWC Mission and create learning opportunities
- Regularly review the professional learning program at UWCSEA which is needs driven and which is understood by all key stakeholders and promoted widely across the College
- Work with leaders of learning and the Director of HR to help design aligned approaches, College-wide, to the Professional Learning Programmes for teachers and for administration staff, with a particular focus on identifying the training needs from both processes and using them to support the College Professional Learning Plan
- Work with Heads of Campus and Director of HR to support the annual (and incidental) induction programme for new staff
- Work specifically with the Professional Learning Committees on each campus to create a published, annually updated and budgeted Professional Learning Plan for the College
- Establish and curate clear and sustainable systems that align the College Strategic Plan and subordinate plans with the annual cycle of professional learning provision for teaching and administration staff and with the financial planning cycle
- Work with the leaders of learning to develop learning communities that operate vertically on Campus and horizontally cross College
- Work with the leaders of the 5 Elements to develop training plans and associated Budgets
- Take an overview of the equitable spread of professional learning across the organisation, targeting under resourced areas in line with the College and Campus strategic plans
- Maintain own professional currency by keeping abreast of international professional learning developments, academic research and trends in education that should be brought within the sight-line of College leaders
- Maintain up-to-date expertise on training requirements that relate to Health and Safety in the workplace (e.g. Safeguarding, First Aid, Laboratory and Workshop Safety, Lifeguarding, etc.) and coordinate with key Team leaders to keep up to date records of those attending training and to track and monitor both compliance and best practice in these areas
- Work with senior colleagues to establish Professional Learning opportunities focused on leadership and career capacity building for teaching and administrative staff
- Source and build partnerships with training providers and neighbouring Singapore schools through PL networks, both local and international
- Liaise with IBO, EARCOS, 21st CL, NOLS, PTC, ELLSA, SENIA, ISNA, Learning 2.0, CASE, UWC International Office and other relevant organisations to organise PL workshops and conferences that benefit and support professional learning in the College.
- Oversee the organization of major training events such as conferences and professional learning days in consultation with School Principals and administration leaders.
- Oversee logistics, contractual aspects and safeguarding issues when sourcing external providers
- Prepare and regularly present budget estimates and financial reports for professional learning
- Engage in the training processes in consultation with the academic and administration leaders.
- When dealing with externally advertised training, oversee all logistical aspects of events from advertising, dealing with registrations, overseeing the event itself to post-event feedback.
- Provide reports to Leadership teams and Board relating to success and costs of professional learning programme
- Manage Professional Learning online presence to market and promote training provision.
- Manage a list of Preferred Training Providers to ensure compliance and endorse internally developed training plans (e.g. School Nurse training)
- Work with the Finance Department to ensure payment of invoices.
- Attend Singapore PL Network meetings
- Ensure that all training provision is subject to feedback from participants and evaluation
- Support training offered to parents
- Line manage staff appointed to support professional learning in the College
- Collaborate with functional teams to assess ongoing and future training and development needs as well as effectiveness of established programs or courses
- Be prepared to support training events which are held from time to time over weekend periods
- Minimum Bachelor Degree
- Minimum 5 years of experience in Learning and Development leadership role with strategic oversight, in in a fast-paced environment.
- Evidence of significant personal professional development
- Experience of coaching practices in a professional setting
- Deep understanding of Professional Learning and training needs in an educational context
- Ability to function effectively both strategically and operationally
- Project and Event management skills
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills
- Digitally Literate, including ability to manage website
- Negotiation skills
- Business and marketing acumen - ability to understand and manage budgets
- Self-starter and skilled networker
UWCSEA welcomes applications from all qualified candidates.
Our school is committed to safeguarding and promoting the welfare of all the students in our care and expects all applicants to share this commitment. We follow safe recruitment practices and all appointments are subject to interview, satisfactory references, identity and criminal record checks.
UWCSEA is an equal opportunity employer, and welcomes applications from those who wish to join a community which is inclusive, and which celebrates diversity.
United World College of South East Asia