Head of Additive Manufacturing Programs - APAC Region
This position will be the lead, coordinator, and focal point for the ASTM Additive Manufacturing Center of Excellence (AM CoE) in the Asia-Pacific (APAC) region based at NAMIC in Singapore. The position will be responsible for mapping, prioritizing, and executing an outreach strategy to engage with the additive manufacturing ecosystem throughout Singapore and act as an interface with the ASTM AM CoE global team (consisting of partner organizations EWI, NASA, Auburn University, NIAR, and the MTC). Additionally, the incumbent will be responsible for coordination between NAMIC (and its partners) and various AM CoE functions and programs including R&D, education and workforce development, standardization, proficiency testing, and certification programs.
Broadly, one of the main responsibilities for the position is to liaise with the AM CoE team to define, identify, and prioritize opportunities for short-term and high-impact technical R&D projects to be executed under the NAMIC umbrella that can ultimately lead to internationally recognized standards. The position will support ASTM in meeting its key performance indicators for the ASTM AM CoE in the APAC region as well as develop close working relationships with the various ASTM AM CoE partners through regular conference calls and travel to workshops, meetings, and conferences.
Specifically, key job responsibilities include:
- Act as subject matter expert for additive manufacturing standards/technical reference development within APAC region
- Lead sector-specific initiatives, which may involve the funding agency, cross-functional teams of end-users (customers), industry partners, and researchers to identify relevant standards and technical development needs for additive manufacturing
- Partner with ASTM AM CoE teams, local researchers, and hub teams to assess and funnel standards/technical reference development projects and upstream research requests via the NAMIC proposal selection process
- Work closely with the ASTM AM CoE team to ensure seamless integration of CoE (APAC region)
- Liaise with local and international stakeholders to clear queries and achieve program objectives
- Manage the administration of major research/industry projects, including writing and preparing communications content
- Interface with industry and conduct strategic planning of projects to meet deliverables
- Identify, initiate, and prioritize R&D opportunities for ASTM AM CoE consideration
- Develop key milestones and deadlines in collaboration with involved interface R&D partners
- Manage and monitor progress of R&D projects and education/training programs
- Be an effective team player
- Strive to do what is right in the big picture
- Postgraduate degree (Masters/Ph.D.) in an Engineering/Science/Biomedical discipline
- Accounting and/or project management certification is a plus, but not required
- High-integrity, balanced self-starter with great due diligence skills
- Can-do attitude and independent decision-making abilities
- Passion for innovation, technology, and enterprise development
- Proven record of analytical thinking and problem solving
- Excellent communication and organizational skills
- Ability to work closely with a diverse collection of staff, technical committees, individual technical experts, and contractors
- Ability to think “big-picture” and connect opportunities to current or required organizational reality
Preferred Qualifications & Competencies
- At least 3–5 years of technical project management experience
- At least 3–5 years of experience with research and development in advanced manufacturing
- Demonstrated understanding of higher education and/or public sector research in relation to standards development – Industry experience is a plus
- Excellent analytical, communication, and presentation skills with the ability to operate with flexibility in a fast-paced, constantly evolving, and collaborative environment
- Ability to communicate complex technical concepts effectively with all levels of management and translate them into productive business outcomes
- Domestic and international standards development experience desirable
- Appointment and remuneration commensurate with candidate’s years of working experience
- Knowledge of existing regulations and certification/licensing requirements
- Experience in developing, managing, and executing business development, operation, and strategy
- Strategic vision with ability to propose, analyze, and articulate short-, medium- and long-term scenarios for additive manufacturing business opportunities
- Experience in standards development and participation in technical committees
- Demonstrated history of developing and managing strategic partnerships
About ASTM International:
ASTM International is an international standards organization that develops and publishes voluntary consensus technical standards for a wide range of materials, products, systems, and services. Approximately 12,575 ASTM voluntary consensus standards operate globally. Defined and set by ASTM, these standards improve the lives of millions every day. Combined with our innovative business services, they enhance performance and help people around the world have confidence in the things they buy and use. The organization's headquarters is in West Conshohocken, Pennsylvania, about 5 mi (8.0 km) northwest of Philadelphia. Founded in 1898 as the American Section of the International Association for Testing Materials, ASTM International predates other standards organizations such as the BSI (1901), IEC (1906), DIN (1917), ANSI (1918), AFNOR (1926), and ISO (1947).
About ASTM AM CoE:
In March 2018, ASTM International—together with its partners Auburn University, NASA, and EWI—launched the ASTM AM CoE; they were quickly joined in May 2018 by the UK Manufacturing Technology Center (MTC), furthering the CoE’s international footprint and complementing its capabilities. In August 2018, NIAR joined the CoE as its first Strategic Partner and in October 2018, the National Additive Manufacturing Innovation Cluster (NAMIC) in Singapore joined as its second Strategic Partner. ASTM AM CoE’s founding partners’ mandate, in conjunction with various industrial partners, is to establish industry-specific additive manufacturing standardization, as well as qualification and certification practices, to accelerate and close standard gaps identified in the industry’s leading roadmaps (e.g., AMSC roadmap). Leveraging the resources of ASTM AM CoE, ASTM seeks to enhance and refine developed technologies by fostering new collaborations with industry and other government agencies. In tandem with these efforts, ASTM AM CoE also acts as a liaison between industry/government/academia and the standards development community to ensure that technologies are standardized to have the greatest impact on the economy and manufacturing sector while also meeting the needs of industrial and government stakeholders.
This job description is not intended to provide an all-inclusive listing of related job activities. Associates may be requested by management to perform other related activities in place of or in addition to those representative activities noted in this job description.
ASTM International is an Equal Opportunity / Affirmative Action Employer Minorities/Females/Disabled/Veterans.