Exhibition Technician / Art Handler (Temp)
ArtScience Museum is the cultural institution in Singapore that explores the intersection of art, science, technology and culture. It is the cultural component of Marina Bay Sands. Since opening in February 2011, we have staged large-scale exhibitions by some of the world’s major artists, including Leonardo da Vinci, Salvador Dalí, Andy Warhol, Vincent Van Gogh and M.C. Escher. In addition, we have presented significant exhibitions that explore aspects of science, including, in recent shows, big data, particle physics, paleontology, marine biology and space exploration.
The museum presents exhibitions and programmes that deliver stories about art and science using a combination of intellectual discussion, education, design and interactive content. Featuring 21 gallery spaces totaling nearly 5000m2, our lotus-inspired building has played host to major international touring exhibitions from renowned museums and galleries the world, including The British Museum and the Science Museum in London, the American Museum of Natural History in New York and Mori Art Museum, Tokyo and many others. We also originate and produce exhibitions in-house, and run a full programme of education, events, activities and learning opportunities for a wide range of audiences.
The Exhibitions team at ArtScience Museum is responsible for developing and implementing a full programme of temporary and permanent exhibitions, for a wide range of audiences, directly reaching over 500,000 visitors annually. The Museum Services is core to the work of the museum. The team supports the work of Exhibitions primarily, but also supports the Public Programmes team for events and performances and Business Development team for corporate events held at the museum.
Summary of Job Responsibilities
The postholder will work closely with the rest of the museum teams to deliver projects in the galleries and throughout the museum, using their knowledge, expertise and skill to ensure that due diligence is carried out specifically in regards to art and artefact handling, packing and unpacking, transport, installation and deinstallation.
- Working to International Council of Museum’s standards, and with ArtScience Museum registrars and conservator, as well as contracted art handlers, manage the load-in and load-out of artwork / artefacts and crates to the museum
- Work with registrars to allocate safe and appropriate storage
- Work with ArtScience Museum registrars and conservators, contracted art handlers and external couriers as necessary, to unpack and locate artworks / artefacts in the galleries
- Work with registrars, project managers and curators to co-ordinate and assist in the setup of exhibitions which might include installation of 2D, wall-based artworks to complex interactive exhibits
- Supervise contracted art handling / installation teams during installation and deinstallation of artworks/artefacts
- Assist in the preparation of contractual work/quotations and proposals for museum services
- Prepare maintenance and SOP documentation relating to permanent and temporary exhibitions.
- Assist in liaison work with external institutions/organizations in regards to exhibitions technical support.
- Assist in setup of events and exhibition programs.
- Be responsible for technical support, maintenance and daily operations in relation to all exhibitions at the museum (as part of a team).
- Assist during exhibition shipment load in/out when required (night shift, when applicable)
- Other duties as directed
- Minimum two years’ experience handling and installing works of art and artefacts, knowledge of fixings, hanging systems, art transport, packing and storage
- Awareness of a range of different supports, frames etc.
- Awareness of handling and conservations care needs for artworks and artefacts
- Awareness of safe handling, lifting and carrying protocols
- Experience of managing small teams
- Good standard of spoken and written English
- To be a team player and have the ability to work independently without close supervision when needed
- To be diplomatic and patient and having excellent standards of artwork/artefact care
- Detail orientated
- Willingness to work to a flexible schedule
- Basic carpentry skills and workshop experience desirable
- Working at heights certification and/or experience
- Vertical Platform Lifter and/or Scissors lift licences
- Languages other than English