Enrolled Nurse – National University Health System
1. Job Purpose
The job-holder is expected to practise within the organisation endorsed scope of practice, established organisational policies, procedures and practice; and Singapore Nursing Board nursing practice and competency standards.
The job holder remains accountable for their own actions. They are responsible to the Registered Nurse and employer for all delegated activities.
2. Duties and Responsibilities
Primary Responsibilities and Duties (80%)
- Assists the Registered Nurse (RN) in the following:
- Admission, transfer and discharge of patients
- Patient care activities, e.g. observing, monitoring and reporting of patients’ conditions and progress. Escalate and notify RN of all unusual and / or untoward observations or happenings.
- Preparation of trolleys and equipment for ward-based procedures, e.g. blood culture, CVP / PICC, intra-pleural drain, lumbar puncture etc.
- Perioperative care, e.g. preoperative preparation, sending and receiving patients from operating theatres / endoscopy
- Cardiopulmonary resuscitation; perform rescue ventilation with bag-valve-mask device and external cardiac massage
- Attends to patients’ care needs in their activities of living, such as bathing, feeding and toileting, skin care, lifting, mobilising and transportation.
- Maintains safe environment through the use of quality assurance and risk management strategies.
- Respects the values, customs, spiritual beliefs and practices of individuals and groups.
- Practises within own level of competence to promote safety of self and patients.
- Demonstrates proper use and care of equipment
Secondary Responsibilities and Duties (20%)
- Performs basic computer updates according to patient’s care
- Orders sterile (CSSD) goods, receives and sends used CSSD items
- Participates in continuing professional development activities to maintain competency in areas of practice
- Participates in continuous quality improvement activities and research process
- Performs any other additional duties as assigned by Nurse Manager
3. Job Specification/Requirements
- A recognised Enrolled Nurse Certificate or equivalent as approved by Singapore Nursing Board
- The Enrolled Nurse is a licensed nurse regulated and subscribes to the profession’s accountability in the following areas: roles, functions, responsibilities, activities and decision-making capacity that they are educated, competent and authorized to perform within that profession.
National University Hospital