Design Engineer (Firmware with EE capability)
Design Engineer (Firmware with EE capability)
The Design Engineer (Firmware) is responsible for architecture, design and development of both hardware and software for microcontroller-based embedded modules. The ideal candidate for this role would have the passion for creating and innovating modern technologies in a highly dynamic, fast-paced environment. We are looking for accomplish, self-motivated, highly talented, passionate and versatile engineers that can create microcontroller-based solutions.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Responsible for the analysis of requirements, architecture definition, design, development and debug of microcontroller-based test solution used in manufacturing test system.
o Contribute to the design, development, modification of hardware and hold design reviews providing deliverables such as: Block-Diagrams, Schematics, PCB design, Bill-of-Materials and other necessary documentation and information.
o Work on a team to drive development projects in all phases from design specification to release.
o Debug, test of hardware and fix hardware/software issues in embedded system using software and hardware tools as needed.
o Actively participate on, and at times leads, cross-functional teams to develop new hardware modules as well as address design issues or maintenance of existing hardware modules.
o Developing high quality source code targeting the embedded system. o Interface with low level microcontroller components (I2C, SPI, USB, UART, CANBUS).
o Support project initiatives collaborating with the rest of the design team ensuring that development milestones and deadlines are met.
o Analyzing and enhancing efficiency, stability and scalability of system resources.
o Works on complex issues where analysis of situations or data requires an in-depth analysis of variable factors. Exercises judgment in selecting methods, techniques and evaluation criteria for obtaining results.
o Evaluate, test and review designs to determine if program will perform according to requirements and specifications.
- Interacting with teams
o Able to provide feedback on peer designs in an open and collaborative design review forum.
o Be a contributor in developing an environment of continuous improvement across all hardware modules and development groups.
o Coordinate with project team to create and release hardware requirements, design specification and design descriptions for assigned designs applicable standards and procedures. Responsible for recording and sharing technical knowledge gained with colleagues. Review hardware documentation for accuracy including documentation intended for customer use.
o Able to work effectively within different cross-functional teams within the company.
o Able to communicate and co-work with customers on test specification and test system design.
o Attend weekly project conference call with customer and cross-functional team from the organization.
- Traveling and on-site support
o Able to do frequent business travel within Asia during project pilot build.
- Bachelor Degree/Msc in Electronics Engineering or other relevant discipline or equivalent combination of education and experience.
- 3-5 years of working experience on test engineering, test development, or equivalent working experience in a manufacturing environment.
- Prior design engineering experience with analog and digital hardware.
- Programming experience in C (C++ is a plus) for embedded systems, including development of algorithms, manipulation of data structures, and implementing highly optimized code.
- Experience with embedded resource-constrained environments.
- Experience writing software tools for hardware validation.
- Experience architecting firmware, hardware and software interfaces (Arm Cortex or equivalent embedded microcontroller).
- Strong understanding of the communication transport protocol like I2C, SPI, UART and USB.
- Good technical and analytical skill with ability to perform electronic system debug effectively.
- Experience driving technology integration and adoption.
ADDITIONAL EXPERIENCE THAT WILL CONSTITUTE A PLUS
- Experience working with real-time operating systems
- Familiarity with DSP architecture and programming
- Knowledge of Forth, Lua, python programming
- Knowledge of Software version control (GIT)
- Software Image processing
- Linux programming environment
COMMUNICATION AND LANGUAGE SKILLS -
- Ability to work both individually and as part of a team.
- Effective communication skills with ability to communicate clearly to cross-functional team within the company or external customer/vendors.
- Response professionally/Technically to common inquiries from customers.
- Effectively present information to internal teams and management and is a good team player.
- Excellent time management skills with the ability to contribute to multiple concurrent projects.
Permanent Personnel Services Pte Ltd