Roles & Responsibilities
Primary purpose of the Legal Counsel is to be a senior contributor to the legal, contractual, regulatory and governance functions within the company.
The legal expertise of the Legal Counsel will support the company to move from a fully financed, one satellite, and pre-revenue stage to a public non-listed next level company achieving well over US$100M annual revenue with possibly several optimally financed satellites.
With HQ in Singapore and team members based across the world, we are a leading next-generation wholesale broadband satellite operator that are disrupting their industry and bringing telecommunication services (high speed internet) to countries in the Pacific, South East Asia and soon beyond. With its first satellite under construction, and due for launch in 2019, this is an exciting time to join the team.
- Provide accurate and timely counsel to the executive team and other employees in a variety of legal topics and corporate compliance (contractual matters, corporate finance, employment law, etc.)
- Collaborate with executive team to devise strategies to manage and resolve any legal and corporate compliance requirements issues or disputes
- Contribute to effective risk management techniques and offer proactive advice on possible legal and corporate compliance to the executive team and board
- Communicate and negotiate with external parties as directed by manager (regulators, external counsel, public authority etc.), creating relations of trust
- Draft agreements, contracts and other legal documents to ensure the company's full legal rights
- Provide clarification on legal language or specifications to everyone in the organization
- Coordinate legal aspects of debt and equity financing
- Develop and maintain systems of internal controls to safeguard the legal reputation of the organization ensuring all legal compliance requirements are met in accordance with all relevant regulations stipulated by IRAS and ACRA
- Support the business in obtaining the necessary licences and/or assist customer obtaining licences working with telecom regulators
- Understand the regulatory landscape in countries where our operations provide services
- Have overall responsibility for the maintenance of the company’s registers and minutes books
- Oversee and contribute to compliance with statutory requirements under the Companies Act and company’s constituent documents
- Ensure compliance with ACRA filing requirements
- Contribute as an intermediary between the company and the relevant authority for specific needs of the company such as ACRA, the Stock Exchange and the Inland Revenue Authority of Singapore as relevant and directed by manager
- Work with the executive team on the strategic vision in providing legal aspects of corporate compliance expertise and support
- Contribute to and advise on the organization’s corporate compliance requirements for fundraising plans and capital structure
- Perform legal risk management by analysing the organization’s liabilities and investments
- Contribute all legal administrative, corporate policies implementations and amendments, risk management operations of the company, systems, processes development and overseeing the overall legal function
To be successful in this role you will require a demonstrated successful track record in the following area:
- Highly experienced corporate and commercial lawyer who has worked within a private law practice and in-house legal function in Singapore and across the region (South East Asia)
- Minimum of 8 years’ legal and corporate compliance experience
- Experience is working in or overseeing corporate secretarial functions, including responsibility for compliance with statutory and regulatory requirements, implementing decisions made by the Board of Directors, and ensuring the integrity of the governance framework
- In depth knowledge of corporate law and risk management practices for Singapore and across the region (South East Asia)
- Corporate policy development and implementation
- Domain knowledge within any of the following industries: Investment funds, telecom, satellite, broadband cable, infrastructure or renewable energy,
- Relevant law qualifications
- Self-motivation and drive
- Ability to solve problems, make decision
- Ability to embrace new challenges, learn new concepts quickly, and be resourceful
- Highly organised and demonstrable ability to multi-task and adhere to deadlines
- Highly developed English communication skills (verbal and written)
- Confident and determined approach with ability to present to executive team and board members
If you can demonstrate you have the required experience and skills and are seeking a role that will provide you with the opportunity to develop your career and be an important member of a small, focused and friendly team then we would love to talk with you.
NOTE: Please no unsolicited call or resumes from agencies thanks.