Business Development Manager
This position, based at Austrade’s Office, Australian High Commission in Singapore, is a key business development role to assist in attracting Foreign Direct Investment (FDI) to the Australian Capital Territory (ACT) as well as supporting the ACT’s trade and export initiatives and programmes.
You will be required to target priority sectors outlined in the ACT’s International Engagement and Business Development Strategies with a focus on the Singapore and the surrounding ASEAN region.
Specific activities include:
- Proactively identify, target and work closely with potential investors in Singapore to secure new FDI for the ACT. This will involve the proactive identification of potential investors based on ACT opportunities, research and presentation of tailored information on industry capability and articulating the commercial benefits of investing in Australia.
- Work proactively with the ACT Trade Start advisor to support and enable trade export opportunities aligned with the development of a freight hub in the ACT.
- Represent the ACT by delivering compelling presentations at business events and in CEO level meetings to promote the advantages of the ACT as a location for investment and trade partnerships.
- Apply strategic and analytical thought to identify and report issues or barriers to investment in the ACT and to propose innovative solutions which will achieve results.
- Develop and maintain extensive senior level business and industry networks in Singapore and in the ACT. This will include other academic, scientific institutions and industry and regional associations such as the Australian National University (ANU), CSIRO, University of Canberra (UC), University of New South Wales Canberra (UNSW Canberra), Canberra Institute of Technology (CIT) Canberra Innovation Network (CBRIN), the Canberra Business Chamber (CBC), AustCyber Canberra Cyber Security Innovation Node, ACT Defence Industry Advisory Board (DIAB) and Canberra Regional Joint Organisation (CRJO)
- Implement a communications and media strategy to address key issues and to facilitate consistent messaging about the ACT’s investment potential.
- Assist with trade related enquiries around trade export out of the ACT, supporting the growth of the freight export hub at Canberra airport and working with the ACT Trade Start advisor.
- Support the implementation of the ACT International Engagement Strategy where appropriate, including relevant missions and ministerial visits.
- Actively apply Austrade business practices and maintain accuracy of information in all Austrade Business Systems to deliver accurate and timely report and effective relationship management.
- Contribute to knowledge creation within Austrade, by adopting information practices, sharing knowledge and information and by embracing best practice and development opportunities.
- Contribute to knowledge creation within Austrade, by adopting information practices, sharing knowledge and information and by embracing best practice and development opportunities
Our ideal candidate
Given the nature of what we do, we thrive when our teams are made up of people from different backgrounds, cultures, genders, education, training, interests and skills. There are seven particularly aspects we will consider when looking for the best fit role:
- Demonstrated track record of achieving results in a commercial environment and the ability to apply this experience to achieve productive foreign direct investment results for Australia in priority sectors.
- Minimum 5 years’ experience in an investment attraction/business development role combined with demonstrated experience in client relationship management encompassing client identification, relationship building and solution selling, as well as proven ability to identify and utilise a senior business network to help achieve results preferably in an international context.
- Excellent presentation and communication skills with a particular ability to:
- Influence and negotiate agreement with multiple stakeholders
- Promote Australia and the ACT in a professional capacity to a broad range of audiences including CEO’s and senior government officials.
- Communicate complex ideas clearly and coherently both verbally and in writing and adapt style to match the audience and the situation.
- Excellent understanding of the benefits of FDI, how corporate investment decisions are made and the capacity to understand and convincingly promote the ACT’s competitive advantage, government policy and support for increasing economic growth.
- Strategic and analytical skills and proven problem solving abilities with the ability to clearly articulate insights on business opportunities and market trends.
- Experience in business planning and successful execution of business plans within a team environment.
- Well-developed time management skills and proven experience of working independently and in a team.
We are the Australian Trade and Investment Commission – or Austrade – and we’re responsible for promoting Australian trade, investment and education to the world.
We help Australian businesses grow by linking them to global export opportunities; we attract international investment to help Australia reach its economic potential; we help startups innovate and go global and we promote Australia's leading-edge education services to the world to help drive growth within this sector. Our tourism policy and programs also help to build a thriving tourism industry.
With employees working in over 80 offices around the world, we are a globally focused and inclusive employer who invests in our people. See if we are the type of organisation you want to work for by finding out more about us on our website.
How To apply
Now that you are familiar with Austrade, we want to hear about you! By referencing the duties of the role, you should outline in a Cover Letter how your skills, experience and qualifications make you the right candidate for this role. We are interested to hear why you would like to work for Austrade and understand how your personal attributes (in addition to your professional skills) can add value to Austrade.
Attach a concise resume to your application and the details of two referees who can confirm your credentials and discuss your suitability for the role.
Applications will be accepted via Austrade’s online recruitment system, eRecruit. Submit your online application through the Austrade Employment Page by 08:00 pm (local time) 7 July 2019
Only candidates who complete their application in Austrade’s online recruitment system will be considered. For assistance with the online recruitment system contact [Click Here to Email Your Resume]. All applications received before the closure date will be reviewed, however, the Panel holds complete discretion to close a position prior to the listed closure date if deemed necessary. The Panel also has the discretion to consider further applications after the position has been closed.
To be eligible to apply for this role, you must have:
- Work Authorisation - Applicants must be legally authorised to work in Singapore
- Language - The position requires a highly motivated individual, fluent in written and spoken English and local language
- Security - The successful applicant must be willing to complete an Entry Level Screening Pack and be confirmed as a suitable person to access Government resources, prior to commencement in the role.
Austrade is part of the Australian Government, and our recruitment process can differ from the usual in country practice. To find out more about what to expect in this process please refer to the Austrade Employment Page. Austrade is a strong supporter of equal employment opportunities, you can see how we are building a culture of diversity and inclusion here.
Australian Trade and Investment Commission