Business Development Manager
We are the Australian Trade and Investment Commission – or Austrade – and we’re responsible for promoting Australian trade, investment and education to the world.
We help Australian businesses grow by linking them to global export opportunities; we attract international investment to help Australia reach its economic potential; we help startups innovate and go global and we promote Australia's leading-edge education services to the world to help drive growth within this sector. Our tourism policy and programs also help to build a thriving tourism industry.
With employees working in over 80 offices around the world, we are a globally focused and inclusive employer who invests in our people. See if we are the type of organisation you want to work for by finding out more about us on our website.
This position is based in the Australian Trade and Investment Commission office in Singapore and plays a key business development role in identifying engagement, trade and investment opportunities and assisting Northern Territory businesses to access markets, and promoting strategic long term relationships.
In this role you will work closely with Austrade and the Northern Territory to develop and deliver agreed objectives.
- Provide expert advice on market conditions, market entry strategies, potential partners and the government regulatory environment in Singapore.
- Provide strategic value added advice to clients in NT and customers in Singapore, Malaysia and other regions as required.
- Identify, develop and capitalise on engagement, trade and investment opportunities in Singapore and Malaysia.
- Assist the Senior Trade Commissioner in driving customer relationship management in Post and Market, including building and maintaining networks with key business contacts, government agencies and other stakeholders in the Northern Territory.
- Represent Austrade and the Northern Territory effectively at key industry, stakeholder and government forums.
- Deepen the Northern Territory’s profile through relationship building with key government and private interests as well as public diplomacy activities.
- Undertake complex market research and analysis to identify market trends and assessing the impact on trade, education and investment opportunities.
- Provide progress reports on issues and events relevant to the NT's engagement with Singapore and Malaysia and provide market insights for Northern Territory agencies and industries.
- Facilitate ministerial and other key engagements with the region as required including actively promoting the Arafura Games and Business Engagement Program.
- Actively apply Austrade business practices and maintain accuracy of information in all Austrade Business Systems to deliver accurate and timely reporting and effective relationship management.
- Contribute to knowledge creation within Austrade, by adopting information practices, sharing knowledge and information and by embracing best practice and development opportunities.
- Work collaboratively within the Austrade network to contribute to service delivery and achieve desired outcomes, while upholding the Australian Public Service (APS) Values, Employment Principles, Code of Conduct and Work Health & Safety (WHS) principles.
- 2 year Contract
OUR IDEAL CANDIDATE
Given the nature of what we do, we thrive when our teams are made up of people from different backgrounds, cultures, genders, education, training, interests and skills. There are eight particular aspects we will consider when looking for successful candidate for this role:
- Demonstrated track record of achieving results in a commercial environment and the ability to apply this successfully to trade and investment facilitation.
- Demonstrated experience in the development and management of productive working relationships (with Australian clients, local Singaporean customers, government bodies, industry groups etc.) as well as proven ability to utilise a network to help achieve business results in an international context.
- Strong understanding of the benefits of FDI, and government policy agendas, trade education and investment priorities, processes and protocols in Singapore and the Northern Territory.
- Demonstrated high level communication and collaboration skills (includes interpersonal, negotiation, influencing and business writing skills) with a particular ability to present opportunities to customers and clients through written insights, online media etc. and the ability to represent Austrade and NT Government in a professional capacity to a broad range of audiences and interact with people of diverse cultures.
- Proven research and analytical skills, project management and problem solving abilities.
- Experience in business planning and in identifying, developing and driving a work program and individual projects, with proven ability to work autonomously and in a team.
- Demonstrated capacity to contribute to the leadership & management of the team, providing clearly articulated strategic direction.
- Well-developed time management skills and proven experience of working independently and in a team.
HOW TO APPLY
Now that you are familiar with Austrade, we want to hear about you! By referencing the duties of the role and the selection criteria, you should outline in a maximum of 800 words your skills, experience and qualifications to demonstrate you are the right candidate for this role. We are interested to hear why you would like to work for Austrade, and understand how your personal attributes (in addition to your professional skills) can add value to Austrade.
Attach a concise resume to your application and the details of two referees who can confirm your credentials and discuss your suitability for the role.
Applications will be accepted via Austrade’s online recruitment system, eRecruit. Submit your online application through the Austrade Employment Page by 11:30 pm (local time) 23 February 2020
Only candidates who complete their application in Austrade’s online recruitment system will be considered. For assistance with the online recruitment system contact [Click Here to Email Your Resume] All applications received before the closure date will be reviewed, however the Panel holds complete discretion to close a position prior to the listed closure date if deemed necessary. The Panel also has the discretion to consider further applications after the position has been closed.
To be eligible to apply for this role, you must have:
- Qualification – Tertiary education in international relations, business, economics or a related discipline.
- Experience – Minimum 5 years’ experience in a comparable investment attraction/business development role.
- Language Proficiency - The position requires a highly motivated individual, fluent in written and spoken English, Chinese and Malaysian language skills are desirable.
- Work Authorisation - Applicants must be legally authorised to work in Singapore.
- Security - The successful applicant must be willing to complete an Entry Level Screening Pack and be confirmed as a suitable person to access Government resources, prior to commencement in the role.
Austrade is part of the Australian Government, and our recruitment process can differ from the usual in Singapore practice. To find out more about what to expect in this process please refer to the Austrade Employment Page. Austrade is a strong supporter of equal employment opportunities, you can see how we are building a culture of diversity and inclusion here.
Australian Trade and Investment Commission