Assistant Manager/Manager, Diversity, Inclusion and Integration (3-yr contract)
- Strengthen Integration, Risk Monitoring and Pastoral Care
- Provide administrative support and work within the Diversity, Inclusion and Integration (DII) team to encourage student-initiated programmes that shape expectations of proper student behavior in a multi-cultural environment. This also includes supporting the team as they mentor and guide students as partners in organising and implementing these programmes and activities, and develop students’ leadership skills.
- Assist in rolling-out publicity plans to engage students on relevant social issues in a multi-cultural environment and encourage them to propose their own programmes to address these issues.
- Provide students with logistical, finance and admin support for their programmes and events.
- Assist in developing programmes to meaningfully engage both Local Students (LS) and International Students (IS)
- Facilitate and assist in executing new events/programmes, to enable deeper interaction between IS and LS. These include orientation, cultural programmes; surveys and research projects; publishing and media projects that will help international students adjust better to life in Singapore and SMU. These programmes also aim to encourage and enhance cross-cultural understanding and appreciation between different communities in SMU and enable international and local students to engage deeply in campus life, enrich their University education experience and develop a sense of loyalty to SMU and Singapore upon graduation.
- Assist in rolling-out suitable publicity plans and operationalizing the programmes.
- Aid in current integration and risk management capabilities
- Monitor online chatter and various communication channels, identify at-risk students and intervene when possible e.g. flag out students who require counselling, help to ensure online discussions provide balanced viewpoints etc.
- Maintain effective communication channels and monitoring framework that enable the AUs to share information/ strategies on potential flashpoints as well as provide a quick response to social media incidents.
- Help strengthen public communications strategies
- Build a repository of positive stories and publish these stories on appropriate platforms to enhance the public standing of IS. Maintain and update the DII website.
- Bachelor degree, preferably with 3 to 5 years of relevant work experience either with University students or other community groups dealing with international communities and inter-cultural issues.
- Good administration skills, organized, meticulous and responsible.
- Experience in publication work and organising events is a definite asset.
- Working knowledge of computer software such as Microsoft Excel, Word, Power Point, Outlook, Photoshop and web applications.
- Ability to interact sensitively and communicate with people from different cultures and backgrounds, with a good understanding of local customs and cross-cultural issues.
- Ability to multi-task, creative, resourceful, willing to learn and has a positive attitude.
- Possess a high degree of initiative, with the ability to work independently with minimum supervision, but also a team player, with strong coaching and facilitation skills.
- Excellent customer-service and communication skills are mandatory.
Candidates who do not possess the stipulated qualifications but have relevant work experience may still apply. Remuneration and appointment terms shall commensurate with qualifications and experience. SMU reserves the right to modify the appointment terms where necessary.
Singapore Management University