Database Administrator (DBA)
This is a DB2 / Oracle Server DBA role largely responsible for providing operational database services to the organization. We are looking to fill a need to have a highly competent and highly motivated individual in this role. This is a production / test / development DBA role, as such it will require a commitment on your part as well as ours. Some of the primary responsibilities of this role would include owning, tracking and resolving database related incidents and requests, fulfilling requests and resolving incidents within SLAs, reviewing service related reports (e.g: database backups, maintenance, monitoring) on a daily basis to ensure service related issues are identified and resolved within established SLAs, responding to database related alerts and escalations and working with vendors and other parties to come up with strategic solutions to recurring problems.
This DB2 / Oracle Server DBA role requires a service oriented mentality, high sense of ownership of the problems and requests assigned, focus on managing and resolving issues in alignment with the SLAs, establishing and maintaining communication with technology customers to keep them updated with status of their requests, initiating and performing changes on production / test / development systems and proactively escalating any issues that cannot be resolved within the established timeframes.
• Bachelor degree, with a technical major, such as engineering, data communications or computer science, among others.
• Good communication and documentation skills.
• Minimum 5 years Database Administration experience.
• Experience with Database Administration for DB2 (version 10 onwards)
/ Oracle Server (version 11 onwards).
• Knowledge and/or working experience in SQL Database servers and
MySQL will be an advantage.
• Experience in performing, managing and validating Data Model creation.
(ERWIN and/or equivalent)
• Experience in troubleshooting and resolving database problems.
• Experience in Performance Tuning and Optimization (PTO), using
native monitoring and troubleshooting tools. (knowledge of indexes,
index management, and statistics)
• Experience with backups, restores and recovery models.
• Knowledge of High Availability (HA) and Disaster Recovery (DR)
options for DB2 / Oracle Server.
• Experience in implementing operational automation using scripts / shell
• Experience in writing and implementing Stored Procedures, PL/SQL
• Experience working with Windows, AIX, Linux and Solaris servers.
• Knowledge in application development using JMS and RDBMS
• Knowledge in application development using WebSphere and DB2
• Responsibilities sometimes require working evenings and weekends, sometimes with little advanced notice. 24 x 7 Support is required.
• Experience in common coding languages used in ETL development, like SQL, Java, XML and Online Analytical Processing Tools (OLAP), is an added advantage.
• Monitor and react on ITM alerts, ensure database availability and to perform sanity check.
• Perform BS software deployments in production, including firmware/ fixpack patching.
• Responsible to perform and to support functional and actual disaster recovery.
• Troubleshoot reported incidents and perform impact analysis
• Review and implement Change Requests; provide consultation to
• Track configuration changes and optimize the performance of databases.
• Perform regular database backup; and perform recovery of database
objects as required.
• Storage and capacity planning for future needs.
• Work with Application team on database related defects; and
Enhancement requests raised by stakeholders.
• Liaise with vendors for technical support.
• Good understanding of ITIL practice, especially change management
and incident management.
• Draft and maintain database Standard Operating Procedure (SOP)
- Change Management
- Data Modeling