A Sous Chef reports directly to the Chef de Cuisine and / or Executive Chefs.
The Sous Chef is responsible for planning, directing, controlling, coordinating and participating in the day-to-day operations of the kitchen. He/she is accountable for the production of all food products required by the entity and also ensures that the products are of the highest quality or surpassed at all times.
The Sous Chef role includes the following but not limiting to:
- Support the Chef de Cuisine and the BOH team ensuring smooth operations at all times.
- Assist the Chef de Cuisine in menu engineering, menu changes and their implementations.
- Manage and oversee all activities in the kitchen, including food preparation/production, management and training of kitchen staff.
- Ensure efficient, cost-effective operations and profitability of food production.
- Supervise and inspect all food preparation/cooking equipment on a regular basis to ensure that they are kept clean, sanitary, and in perfect operating order (equipment maintenance).
- Assure adherence of all standards of food quality, preparation, recipe following and presentation in conjunction with the Entity’s specifications in a timely manner.
- Curate and provide accurate recipes with appropriate training to the junior chefs enabling them to deliver food products of consistent quality.
- Assist team members with their job functions and provide on the job training when necessary so that only the best quality food is always served.
- Estimate food consumption to plan purchases and requisition of raw ingredients.
- Minimise waste and spoilage of raw ingredients to maintain COG budget.
- Prepare an efficient daily work/prep list and train junior chefs to prioritise mise en place production with proper time management training.
- Foster and promote a cooperative working climate, maximising productivity and maintaining employee morale.
- Monitor holding/storage procedures, stocks/food rotation, and ensuring food service sanitation standards are met.
- To delegate inventory tasks to junior chefs at the end of month, giving them the necessary training and resources.
- Kitchen on-boarding, introduction to the kitchen, stations, workflow and organisation.
- Degree/Diploma/Professional Certificate in Culinary Arts.
- At least 5 years of working experience in the related field.
- Possess food hygiene and safety certification or equivalent.
- Experience in running a full-fledged kitchen team.
- Ability to communicate in spoken and written English.
- Proficient in Microsoft Office.
- Specialisation in a specific entity’s cuisine will be a bonus.
- Certified Safety Professional
- Food Safety
- Microsoft Office