Outward Bound Singapore (OBS), a division of the National Youth Council (NYC), is part of a world-wide adventure-based training network in more than 30 countries. We are a leader in outdoor education in the region, and have impacted more than 500,000 youths over the past 50 years.
That is the OBS spirit that we aim to inculcate in youths. We do not merely impart outdoor skills and knowledge. We inspire youths to start a journey of self-discovery, and build confidence and resilience for a lifetime. Our full-time instructors are handpicked carefully for their positive mind-sets, affinity for the outdoors and passion for youth development. As we continue to grow, we seek people with the same passion and mission to be part of the OBS family.
What you will be working on
OBS Instructor Selection Process
Shortlisted candidates will be invited for:
• Instructor Selection Programme (ISP) – Your very own 3D2N mini outdoor expedition to find out if you have what it takes to be an OBS Instructor. You will go through mentally and physically challenging activities over 72 hours (from Friday to Sunday).
o ISP Dates: 25 Feb to 27 Feb 2022. By applying for this round of ISP, you will need to be available on these dates (if there are changes to the dates, we will notify shortlisted candidates).
• Panel Interview – Congratulations! You’re so close to becoming a Trainee Instructor! Bring your best self for a chat with our OBS leaders to find out if we’re match in terms of expectations and job/cultural fit.
What we are looking for
• Entry level candidates with Degree or Diploma are welcome to apply;
• Singapore Citizen/Permanent Resident;
• Fully Vaccinated;
• Relevant experience and/or active sporting or outdoor background will be advantageous;
• Passion for engaging and developing youths;
• Able to adapt well and thrive in a dynamic environment; and
• Be a team player who is effective, resourceful, and takes the initiative in work.
Important: If you have any of the medical conditions below, you may not be able to participate in our Instructor Selection Process due to safety considerations.
Condition(s) of Concern:
1. Breathing problems, e.g. exercise induced asthma
2. Blood disorder, e.g. anaemia
3. Severe obesity, e.g. Body Mass Index (BMI) above 35 due to obesity
4. Epilepsy/fits/seizures, e.g. any attack within the last 2 years
5. Unavoidable allergens resulting in severe allergic reaction, e.g. traces of allergen or insect bites
6. Severe Behavioural and/or psychological conditions, e.g. Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder (ADHD) / Autism Spectrum Disorder (ASD)
7. Any condition requiring administration of injections or medical equipment support, e.g. Insulin, Epipen
8. Any condition that may impair movement and/or adversely affect safety to self or others during the course
Eligible applicants will be contacted within 4 weeks after the closing date of the job ad.