To enhance the teaching of English Language and increase exposure of students to English, a Native-speaking English Teacher (NET) Scheme has been implemented in Hong Kong public-sector secondary and primary schools since the 1998/99 and 2002/03 school year respectively.
The objectives of the Primary NET Scheme are to:
- provide an authentic environment for children to learn English;
- develop children’s interest in learning English and establish the foundation for life-long learning;
- help local teachers develop innovative learning and teaching methods, materials, curricula and activities suited to the needs of local children; and
- disseminate good practices in language learning and teaching through region-based teacher development programmes such as experience-sharing seminars/workshops and networking activities.
The objectives of the Enhanced NET Scheme are to:
- enrich the English language learning environment in schools;
- enhance the learning and teaching of English with linguistically and culturally authentic materials and resources; and
- strengthen teaching capacity through school-based professional development and collaboration between NETs and English panel members.